Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Pro Tools and Logic on the same mac?

Searched and couldn't find this. I'm running 6.7 with Mac 10.3 on a G5 dual 2.0.
Can I install Logic also and flip back and forth between Pro Tools and Logic?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Logic on the same mac?

of course. you can even run em at the same time.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Can't run both Logic TDM and PT TDM at the same time on the same machine.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:22 PM

but back and forth is fine???
Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 PM

I have the same rig as you, and as I've chosen to have access to Logic's plugs when in Logic, I'm using Core Audio, which means I have to boot up Digi Core Audio Manager before I boot up Logic. Since DCAM can't be running at the same time as Pro Tools, I can't flip from one to the other quickly, I have to quit one and boot up the other, which is a PITA, but I'd rather do that than give up all the Logic plugs. Other than that, Logic is a titch flaky addressing PT HD hardware using Core Audio, with occasional clicks, pops and rebooting, but on the whole quite usable. I tend to write music in Logic, then stem it out and mix in PT. If this suits you, you'll be fine.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 07-01-2006, 05:37 AM

hey guys,

i run both logic 7.1.1 and pt 6.7 on the same computer (g5 dual 2 osx 10.3.7) at the same time everyday. the way that i do it is is that i run logic with core audio and pt with dae. i have a rme fireface 800 for the core audio stuff and use the 192 for pt. my system is set up to either monitor logic through my presonus central station OR through pt via adat light pipe. i can even have one chase the other if i choose to. both logic and pt are clocked via big ben.

the thing i always have to do is the boot up pt first. after that i boot up logic and i'm good to go. i can switch back and forth between the 2 just as easily as i can between any other app...word, itunes, safari....it is all the same.

hope this helps,

ej
Old 07-01-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
hey guys,

i run both logic 7.1.1 and pt 6.7 on the same computer (g5 dual 2 osx 10.3.7) at the same time everyday.
Hi,

I have run both at the same time, same as you, by running Logic on Coreaudio, but never had much success syncing the two together!! how are you syncing them together and is it working ok?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:28 AM

there are two ways to do it.

1. you can run mtc or midi clock through the iac bus and setup either program to chase

or

2. stripe logic with smpte for about 6-8 min (you only have to do this once and save the file as part of your autoload). trim the smpte audio file so that it starts at exactly 1.1.1.1. according to your logic transport. feed that signal into sync i/o and have pt chase via smpte.

the biggest key is making sure that they (logic and pt) both have the same clock source like a big ben. the LTC takes care of the positional reference and the word clock handles the tempo.

of the two methods the smpte one is the best. I haven't tried this one myself but according to the post audio guys this way will give you sync results that are 1-2 samples accurate. i'll be doing it this way once it pick up a sync i/o.

keep in mind that mtc is only 1/4 frame accurate. so when using mtc through the iac bus you have to deal with one program starting later than the other while chasing and it is not always consistant but i know a few people that it doesn't bother. the cool thing is that because you are using the same word clock reference once your audio is lined up it will be consistant with a 1-2 sample variance....i can live with that.

ej