Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Default ProTools 8 - Input Monitoring "Off"

Will there be an option to turn Input Monitoring off completely in PT8?

The reason being, with true hardware monitoring from the M-Audio devices, there is no reason to still hear PTs output of that very same input. You get this delay (yes it is noticeable) because you hear the hardware monitoring first, then PT monitoring.

Another example is if you have an outboard mixer with cue's set up. The singer can already hear themselves, why do they have to hear themselves twice?

Maybe I didn't RTFM enough, but I've been over it and over it, and don't see a way other than to buy a 002 or 003 and use low latency.

This isn't a problem in the HD world, so no issues there, but for on location recording with the mobile rig, this becomes a bit of a problem, having to mute tracks as you record them.

Does anyone have a slick solution they use for this?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Re: ProTools 8 - Input Monitoring "Off"

if you switch to auto and put the mix knob all the way to playback then you wont hear the delay
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecut View Post
if you switch to auto and put the mix knob all the way to playback then you wont hear the delay
But that is only on Mbox & 002 & 003 right? Using a firewire 410, I do not believe there is a "Mix" knob.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM

If you are able to monitor the input, you could mute the recording track(it still records). Ideally, you should probably monitor audio from the software and use a small buffer setting to avoid latency(128 or 64). If you are monitoring the input, it makes it rather tough to do punch-ins.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you are able to monitor the input, you could mute the recording track(it still records). Ideally, you should probably monitor audio from the software and use a small buffer setting to avoid latency(128 or 64). If you are monitoring the input, it makes it rather tough to do punch-ins.
As I said in my first post, it is troublesome having to mute tracks that you want to record on. Like you said, the punch is where the problems arise. It just interrupts workflow.

I understand buffer settings, and all. On a HD system it is not that big of a deal as you have the input button and low latency via the HD cards. You don't have a noticeable delay. And I'm not really asking for the same, I just want to turn it off completely,with M-Audio hardware you have this routing matrix and what not, and its really nice hardware monitoring, but then you come over to MPowered PT and you get a delay/flange effect the moment you enable record on a track - you see my issue?

Why have all that routing capability in M-Audio hardware when PTMP adds an additional delayed to signal to the mix?

Input Only
Auto Input Monitoring
None
Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maufau View Post
But that is only on Mbox & 002 & 003 right? Using a firewire 410, I do not believe there is a "Mix" knob.
I'm using a FTP
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Ok its on the Fast Track Pro, but this Mix knob is not on a 410,610,2626 Ultra 8R right? These products have hardware routing mixers, far from a mix knob.

The FTP does not have enough I/O for what I do.

Hearing anyone I'm recording say "why does my [insert instrument,voice here] sound like that" is very annoying to the point that I use another DAW to record on location - and the consensus is "much better" or "how come the other guys cant do that?". But I don't want to do this, I want to stay in PT through the whole process.

I wish Digi would just chime in here. I'm not too keen on getting a magma chassis, or buying a 002 or 003 just so I can have "close" to what I'm looking for, I just don't see why we don't have the option to turn it off. Many of us have hardware mixers, or have hardware routing in our interfaces and have no need for software monitoring when recording voices and live instruments unless of course its HD and the latency isn't noticeable.

But beyond that - it would be a nice option. Can't anyone here see why? Imagine having an 02R that you've set-up for routing, cue-mixes, with compression, reverb etc all outboard, and all you need back from PT is 2 tracks of audio or maybe a stem mix without having to worry about a delayed replica of 12 input signals being inserted into the output. This sounds about right, this is an option you have with any other DAW and any other recording medium.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Avid

Pro Tools 8 will not have this function, but we do see the usefulness of it and it's something that's been on the feature request list for awhile now.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Pro Tools 8 will not have this function, but we do see the usefulness of it and it's something that's been on the feature request list for awhile now.
So my best option here would be an 003 I take it? I also take it, that PT8 L.E and MPowered does not have the "input" button either? If so, thats fine, just weighing my options here.

Can anyone confirm that they can get 32 samples buffer on a Mac with the 003 can you get the same with the 002? I could live with that I guess (yes I've been researching). Nonetheless Digi, looking forward to PT8!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 AM

I had asked a similar question last week ago and yeah I do not understand why noone seems to be having issues with this. I am using ProTools M-Powered with M-Audio hardware and while hardware monitoring with almost no latency is a nice option it is completely useless for my workflow using the system like a tape machine: play --> punch in --> record --> punch out

The layered signal from "software monitoring" while recording is not something you want to give the artist on their headphones.

Basically this is the only reason while I'm still recording in Logic and then going to ProTools for Editing (and mix). It lets you work at a huge buffersize and still get good monitoring and they had it implemented for about 10 years now.

Please Digidesign implement this (and PDC for ProTools M-Powered)