Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 AM

Default monitor controller setup problems

Sorry for my ignorance just deseperately trying to get some help. I have a monitor controller (mackie big knob) and im having trouble setting it up in pro tools (cant get audio to run through it out to my monitors)

im running pro tools 2018 with a scarlett 18i20 interface
im using the default asio drivers with scarlett as my playback engine. i was able to get the big knob to work using the asio4all drivers however it created extreme latency and was impossible to record with

im sure there is a very simple fix something im probably just overlooking im just very inexperienced any help is appreciated i've spent about 15 hours total on this issue now. please let me know if any more info is needed
Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Re: monitor controller setup problems

Your monitor controller should be setup in hardware. There's nothing to configure with Pro Tools. Patch a stereo balanced output from your Scarlett interface to a pair of inputs on your big knob so you can control the output. In Pro Tools, make sure your master bus is routed to the correct stereo output.

As far as recording latency, that's a completely separate issue. You should monitor your sources during record in analog to avoid latency, which you can do with your Scarlett.

In Pro Tools, if LLM (Low Latency Monitoring) is disabled (under Options), make sure you mute your record armed tracks.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM

What Mackie Big Knob do you have, the original, analog one or one of the new ones that is both a monitor controller and an interface? On Windows you can only use one interface at a time with Pro Tools.
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM

Indeed, the setup for your controller happens outside the box completely. Set Pro Tools to use the Scarlett and uninstall ASIO4ALL. Route the main outputs of the Scarlett to the inputs of the Big Knob and the Big Knob output feeds your monitors.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave