Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 AM

Default PT2018 Compatible with MBox Pro?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have a question about using Pro Tools 2018 in conjunction with my MBox Pro. I've referenced the compatibility chart on the Avid website, which states that they should be compatible. However, I can't find a way to have Pro Tools receive an instrument signal from the Mbox Pro. I've searched the boards to find a resolution but have not found one as of yet, which is why I thought posting here might be helpful. Could someone please help me solve this problem?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer. If any additional info would be helpful please let me know.

Mac Pro (mid 2010)
-OSX 10.13.6
-2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
-6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 2018.4.0
MBox Pro 1.3.6 (FW800>FW400)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Re: PT2018 Compatible with MBox Pro?

You need to be more specific about which Mbox Pro you have. What generation is it? If it's the 3rd generation and you installed the latest drivers, you should be fine, though keep in mind you're not running a support OS. Avid still hasn't qualified anything above 10.13.3.

As far as the instrument issue, how have you configured your midi device in Pro Tools? Post as much information as possible, including how you have everything connected.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:54 AM

I have a 3rd Gen MBox Pro with the latest drivers installed. I'm unable to get a signal in PT while running the Mbox to the Mac Pro, even though the Mbox shows that a signal is present. I have a FW400 cable coming out of the Mbox into a FW800 input on the Mac Pro. I've tried different cables as well just in case one was faulty. PT just doesn't recognize the Mbox for some reason. I'm not having a problem getting virtual instruments to work (Reason, etc), just the getting a live signal though the MBox. Once again, I'm sorry if I missing something (I obviously am) but would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks for your and patience and your help!

Mac Pro (mid 2010)
-OSX 10.13.6
-2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
-6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 2018.4.0
MBox Pro 1.3.6 (FW800>FW400)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM

I have a 3rd Gen MBox Pro with the latest drivers installed. I'm having trouble getting a live instrument signal through the Mbox into Pro Tools. I've run a FW400 out of the Mbox Pro into a FW800 input on the back on the Mac Pro. I've tried different cables as well in case the first one was faulty. I'm able to use virtual instruments in Pro Tools (Reason, etc), but can't give a live signal through the Mbox for some reason. I apologize if I'm missing something (I obviously am), but whatever advice anyone might be able to offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your patience and your help!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 PM

First thing I would check, which I can’t assume you have, is make sure the playback engine in Pro Tools is set to the correct audio interface. It sounds like it might be set to something else, possibly the built-in core audio. Then go to I/O setup and make sure that the inputs and outputs show up. Set them all to the defaults to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsud View Post
I have a 3rd Gen MBox Pro with the latest drivers installed. I'm having trouble getting a live instrument signal through the Mbox into Pro Tools. I've run a FW400 out of the Mbox Pro into a FW800 input on the back on the Mac Pro. I've tried different cables as well in case the first one was faulty. I'm able to use virtual instruments in Pro Tools (Reason, etc), but can't give a live signal through the Mbox for some reason. I apologize if I'm missing something (I obviously am), but whatever advice anyone might be able to offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your patience and your help!
How much experience recording anything besides VIs do you have with Pro Tools? (If you are lost and never done this before try finding a tutorial on Pro Tools and the Mbox 3 Pro and start there, like on YouTube.)

Tell us what you are actually trying to do:

What exact instrument and pickup or mic or whatever do you have plugged into what exact input?

If a guitar or bass are you going in DI or micing an amp etc.? If DI are you using an amp sim.

If a keyboard what exact analog cable?

What is not working? You can't see a waveform (even if you zoom way in?) or you can't hear anything while tracking or both?

Are using an audio not an instrument track?

What is the input gain, mic phantom power etc, set to?

Is the track record enabled? Transport record enabled? Track in input monitor mode?

You can also likely confirm the interface is (mostly) working by using hardware monitoring and don't even need a DAW connected. All controlled by the mbox Pro Driver Control panel and described in the Mbox Pro documentation.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. My Mbox Pro is not even showing up in the Playback Engine dropdown menu for some reason. I've installed the latest drivers and followed the install and connect instructions per the Mbox Pro installation guide. You're correct that watching some tutorials would be helpful though - I'll do so.

I have experience recording other things beside VIs, but haven't in a couple years and certainly not since the latest upgrade. At the moment, I have a Share SM58 plugged into Channel 1 on the Mbox Pro using a standard XLR cable; the gain is all the way up and I can see a signal coming through on the Mbox when I test the mic. I'm connecting the Mbox Pro to my Mac Pro running a FW400 cable out of the Mbox into a FW800 input on the Mac. I can't get a signal to appear in Pro Tools on either an audio or instrument track. The tracks are record enabled, as is transport. I've also tried toggling back and forth between the tracks being in input monitor mode and not to no avail. I simply can't get a signal in Pro Tools for some reason. Any idea what the problem might be?

Once again, I really appreciate your advice. Thanks for helping me solve this issue!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM

I can't solve your problem but I am using an Mbox 3 Pro just fine. MacOS 10.13.6 and PT 2018.7. MBox driver 1.3.6

Make sure the MBox is recognized when you open the driver panel. It will tell you if it is connected and in use. If it's not showing up as a Playback Engine then start there. It should show up as an output device for the Mac if it's working.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Avid

An interface not recognized by PT as you described is most commonly due to the OS blocking the driver. Check out avid.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/My-Audio-Interface-cannot-be-detected-by-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra
Old 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM

...and upgrade your RAM , 6 gb is way to low.