Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Arrow Protools & iLok Authorization Inquiry

Hello world,

I'm new to the protools experience, I'm Running ptLE7.3.1 on Mbox2 micro hardware. I just completed the installation, But I have one problem; when I attempt to start the program, I get a authorization prompt box. If I click "Authorize" I get an error saying: No iLok Detected ("or something similar")
If I click "Quit" the program starts, It's operating fine; but I can't get any sound on my Mbox output.

So, I would like to get some suggestions or assistance in determining the problem.

1. Do I really have to purchase a iLok usb license before I can actually get to play with my program?

2. Or could it be a misconfiguration with my Mbox settings?

I welcome all words of encouragement. I just Bought the protools system, I had to purchase a DVD drive to run the installation, & I had to buy a stick of memory to complete the installation. If I have to buy one more thing, I'm going to Flip out.

thanx.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM

I THINK LE authorizes still with a serial number, check in the box and follow the instructions. If it didnt come with an ilok, chances are you dont need one.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
I THINK LE authorizes still with a serial number, check in the box and follow the instructions. If it didnt come with an ilok, chances are you dont need one.
hey man, thnx for the quick reply,
My system came with everything; including: serials, Authorization code, and registration ID. I was prompted to Enter Authorization code after Installation.
But I still get this dialog box, which speaks of iLok.

I really understand the Anti piracy measures, But I think that there should be some sort of discount for those who buy pt systems from registered retailers.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Pro Tools doesn't need an iLok.
What you're seeing is a request for authorization for a plug-in.
The PT installation disc includes some plug-ins that require an additional purchase for continued use.
See this Answerbase article for instructions on removing those extra Pop-up Authorization Messages.
www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=19348
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Cool Product Activation Inquiry

If I complete the product activation process on digidesign website, Will it authorize my program or will I have to buy iLok?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
Pro Tools doesn't need an iLok.
What you're seeing is a request for authorization for a plug-in.
The PT installation disc includes some plug-ins that require an additional purchase for continued use.
See this Answerbase article for instructions on removing those extra Pop-up Authorization Messages.
www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=19348
Thanx man, I'll check into that.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Question would it trigger my problem?

Would this issue prevent my program from giving an output?
I'm not getting any sounds at all. Regardless of which instrument
I use.The demo song works fine but when I create a new session,
I'm not hearing sound output; what so ever.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Hey man

Yeah I came across this problem when I got my PT LE Mbox2 factory bundle - and the ilok comes as standard with all mbox systems - you don't have to purchase another ilok.

Set up an account on the digi website - then you have to register the authorization/activation codes online on the digi website for your mbox as it stores your codes etc.. in the website in your account - if I remember PT will still run if you don't but helps if you require technical support from them and if you lose your codes - its all stored safely.

True you don't need to have the ilok in at all times to use pro rools - You will have to go to the pace/ilok website to register your ilok or activate and then syncro your ilok etc(can't quite remember as was a while ago when i did mine). Again the ilok website account will store all your authorization codes incase your ilok should get damaged or you lose it - then you will need to buy another stick. I didn't bother getting the additional cover for the ilok - its not required as you won't be playing football with it! - I normally just leave mine on the usb slot.

Like I said when I first got my mbox2 I had the same headache trying to get all this done as there are no real instructions included giving steps.

Its true there will be additional 3rd party bundle packs that have compressors, gates and eq's etc... included on your installation disc that do require you to purchase them if you want to use them - but you should only install the bundle option you got when you purchased your mbox - if you are getting authorization requests for these 3rd party products if you installed them thinking they come as standard then you will need to easily unistall them in control panel add/remove progs.

I think that is all - I recently had to re-install my mbox2 onto my new pc and so didn't need to re-register codes etc as they were all on the ilok.

As for not getting sound, trace your steps like check your connections at the back of the mbox going into your monitors/amp depending how you got it set up - go to the setup options actually within pro tools too and check the i/o setup there - also you can select the 'default' button in the set up and it will automatically set up your i/o settings as per what your pc can run. It may seem obvious but check the volume and mix levels on the front panel of your mbox - I made the school boy error of not turning up the mix level and only the volume level - no comment!

Hope this is of help and if you have done all this then sorry for going over it all again.

I have done the 101 & 110 pro tools level certs for work but also as I did find it a bit of a learning curve after using Cubase for years, I still use a mix of Pro Tools/Cubase depending what im doing - Any probs then post up again and ill have a look at my pro tools 101/110 books that go into the set up of your system and helps get the most out of you pro tools/pc set up according to what you pc can handle.

Regards
Dom
Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadboy View Post
Hey man

Yeah I came across this problem when I got my PT LE Mbox2 factory bundle - and the ilok comes as standard with all mbox systems - you don't have to purchase another ilok.

Set up an account on the digi website - then you have to register the authorization/activation codes online on the digi website for your mbox as it stores your codes etc.. in the website in your account - if I remember PT will still run if you don't but helps if you require technical support from them and if you lose your codes - its all stored safely.

True you don't need to have the ilok in at all times to use pro rools - You will have to go to the pace/ilok website to register your ilok or activate and then syncro your ilok etc(can't quite remember as was a while ago when i did mine). Again the ilok website account will store all your authorization codes incase your ilok should get damaged or you lose it - then you will need to buy another stick. I didn't bother getting the additional cover for the ilok - its not required as you won't be playing football with it! - I normally just leave mine on the usb slot.

Like I said when I first got my mbox2 I had the same headache trying to get all this done as there are no real instructions included giving steps.

Its true there will be additional 3rd party bundle packs that have compressors, gates and eq's etc... included on your installation disc that do require you to purchase them if you want to use them - but you should only install the bundle option you got when you purchased your mbox - if you are getting authorization requests for these 3rd party products if you installed them thinking they come as standard then you will need to easily unistall them in control panel add/remove progs.

I think that is all - I recently had to re-install my mbox2 onto my new pc and so didn't need to re-register codes etc as they were all on the ilok.

As for not getting sound, trace your steps like check your connections at the back of the mbox going into your monitors/amp depending how you got it set up - go to the setup options actually within pro tools too and check the i/o setup there - also you can select the 'default' button in the set up and it will automatically set up your i/o settings as per what your pc can run. It may seem obvious but check the volume and mix levels on the front panel of your mbox - I made the school boy error of not turning up the mix level and only the volume level - no comment!

Hope this is of help and if you have done all this then sorry for going over it all again.

I have done the 101 & 110 pro tools level certs for work but also as I did find it a bit of a learning curve after using Cubase for years, I still use a mix of Pro Tools/Cubase depending what im doing - Any probs then post up again and ill have a look at my pro tools 101/110 books that go into the set up of your system and helps get the most out of you pro tools/pc set up according to what you pc can handle.

Regards
Dom
hey man,
sorry 4 the delay. thanx 4 the response. I'll be sure to look into that
Old 08-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadboy View Post
Hey man

the ilok comes as standard with all mbox systems - you don't have to purchase another ilok.
Sorry, not true.

Quote:

True you don't need to have the ilok in at all times to use pro rools -
You aren't required to do any of that to install and activate Pro Tools LE. An iLok is never needed to run the basic program.
The Music Production Toolkit, additional plugs-ins not included in a basic package do require iLok, but not all Mbox packages come with or need one.

It's unclear whether the original poster has bought a bundle that requires an iLok at all. It sounds more likely to me that he installed everything on the disc (very common) and ended up with plugs that require an additional purchase.

Probably just needs to dump the nag prompts.

Tony-
Specifically what plug-ins are mentioned on the pop up prompt boxes?