Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-23-2001, 04:33 PM

Default Re: pro tools mobile???

Yes, you can, but not thru firewire/usb. You need to get the Magma pci exspansion system, and it hooks up thru a card on the side of the lap top. For more info check the Digidesign Development Partner Catolog or try <www.magma.com>
Old 05-24-2001, 12:30 AM

Default pro tools mobile???

will pro tools ever be possible in a lap top, via firewire or usb?
Old 05-26-2001, 02:28 AM

you can also get a firewire hard drive from Glyph, I think its called Project X, if you then download pro tools FREE off the net then you have a portable editing suite.
A company called Digigram make a PCMCIA card with 2 x 24 bit AD/DA converters, if you want a 2 channel portable recording/editing setup
Old 05-29-2001, 07:23 AM

Has anyone actually tried a Digigram card with PT Free? They say on their web site that their cards don't work with most audio programs. I think they have normal Windows wave drivers but I think their focus is custom development so I don't know how good they would be. They also make cards up to four in and four out with S/PDiff and even SMPTE capability, but again, only with their own development tools.

Also, does anyone know how good these cards sound?

DMcG
Old 05-29-2001, 07:51 AM

The digigram card doesn't really work with PTF - some people can get it to play back audio,BUT no one has gotten it to record audio in to PTF.

For the audio input-less new macs (like my TiG4) there doesn't appear to be any real options, and I asuume digi doesn't mind it that way. The Tascam US-428 does work according to some, and b/c Tascam wrote its own proprietary sound manager drivers, you CAN record audio into PTF, but the latency is at a 1024 buffer size - basically useless for overdubs. Some people have had success with a $35 USB griffin iMic, but again, who knows what kind of latency ( or quality) you're getting with a $35 AD/DA converter which uses USB audio.

In essence PTF allows the editing and mixing capabilities of its bigger brothers, but without audio input, its not much of a recording threat to LE. Its a demo program despite what anyone else says. Older G3 powerbook Macs do have audio inputs, but the quality aint there to do anything real with it. For now, I use Firewire Target disc mode to transfer PTLE sessions from my desktop G4 to the laptop G4, and just edit and rough mix there.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:31 AM

I've run the Tascam into my Wall St with PTF and gotten much better latency, down to 256 buffer size. Clean system, minimal extensions set, external SCSI drive. Latency's about 7 ms. Works for me.
Old 06-30-2001, 11:39 AM

Thats good to know. I got that info from Tascams website, which has a pretty good FAQ on PTF.

Sound on Sound recently did a test on the US-428, and I THINK they too got down to a 256 sample buffer size with a G3 or a G4 - but with lesser computers, couldn't get close to that spec.

I am still waiting for the Mac Drivers for the EMI2/6 myself, and maybe moving to logic audio platinum for my portable setup.
Old 06-30-2001, 04:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by static:
but why can't it be like digital performer? (no hardware needed) the purpose of portable is to have it all in the powerbook, not to have to bring the 001 and the magma box.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect that the PCI card maintains the best form of copy protection for Digidesign. Without it, I hate to imagine what sort of sales they'd be missing out on.

As a legitimate user, I find it frustrating that I can't have run PTle on an iBook. And the cost of a Powerbook + Magma + SCSI drive + Digi001 is just totally out of this world.

Phil
Old 06-30-2001, 05:20 PM

i'm with you phil. but why are companies that make dp and logic still in business?

the magma system is cool but bulky and costly.

hey digi come up with a mobile set up that fits the budget of us LEers
Old 06-30-2001, 05:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonoinsf:
---Can't find DAE deck--- Has anyone had similar problems and possibly an answer.

Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was up late one night, doing some drinking and some surfing, and I came across a place that actually sells DAEPowerMix, which is the only way I can think of that would work.

If you got into PT's via the 4.3.2 release, you have DAEPowerMix, but if not, well, you might be able to find that place (Full Compass I think, don't have the URL or the price) or places that still have PowerMix in stock.

Good Luck