Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Surround Setup Help

Hopefully someone can help me, since this is driving me nuts.

I am running HD3 Accel with a 192 I/O and 1622 on the legacy port and a Control 24. I just set up surround monitors on channels 1-6 out of the 192. I am trying to put my stereo monitors on 7-8. No matter what I do I cannot get any sound out of the stereo pair on 7-8. I can pan sound to all the surround monitors fine. I/O setup has the correct channels selected for the stereo pair. I see the meters on the 192 light up on 7-8, but hear no sound. If I move the stereo monitors to 5-6, then I can hear them (so no speaker problem).

Ideally what I wanted was to be able to run my stereo mixes on the stereo monitors on 7-8 and use the surround monitors for surround mixes. Any ideas at all? Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Surround Setup Help

On the control 24 there are 6 stereo inputs used for monitoring. The are 2 separate Dsubs for this and they are "Pro tools sources" and "External sources" You will need to hook up your output from the interface to one of the first 3 (1-6) pairs of these dsubs, which the are 2 of. 7 and 8 on the dsubs are not used.

Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM

Thanks. It did help. I had forgotten that the outs to the monitors came from the Control 24, so 7-8 on the 192 don't correspond to 7-8 on the snake out of the C24. After reading your reply I ended up setting up the stereo monitors as my alt control room monitors. I think this will do what I want, letting me work in stereo sessions as well as surround sessions.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
After reading your reply I ended up setting up the stereo monitors as my alt control room monitors. I think this will do what I want, letting me work in stereo sessions as well as surround sessions.
This is the way I have mine setup and it works great!