Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 05:07 PM

Default 10 (recommended) steps to success

I use Logic and am going to get a Mix plus/ 1622 setup. I will be doing my drum production with NI Battery within Logic but with TDM mixer and have my other midi sound modules coming into the TDM as well (BTW does all this work well). I have a Neumann TLM103 and focusrite platinum mic pre. I am just curious what the opinions are on getting a warm beautiful sound for reggae and hip hop. I can accomplish heaps just with native plugs and skills. But I am curious what main recommendations people have for the minimum gear needed for the dope sound.
Here's my geuss at such a setup recommendation:
1. Heaps of good plug ins
2. Hardware Lexicon reverb digitally i/o connected. Or is there a plug in that's just as good?
3. Some sort of good mic pre or special box to input everything through.
4. Empirical Labs Distressor or Fatso. (these seem to get rave reviews so they must offer something that TDM plugs can't)
I realise this is extremely subjective and you can create soulful music with any gear but this is a hypothetical technical gear poll for the purpose of a beautiful fat clear sound. And I'm hoping to accomplish most things with plugs if possible. Plus getting too picky about sound quality probably has diminishing returns when getting the basics right is often forgotten. Plus it's not a classical or Enya record I'm making.
Peace. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2001, 10:34 AM

Default Re: 10 (recommended) steps to success

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> I use Logic and am going to get a Mix plus/ 1622 setup. I will be doing my drum production with NI Battery within Logic but with TDM mixer and have my other midi sound modules coming into the TDM as well (BTW does all this work well) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works well. It WILL work brilliantly when Logic releases the first update to 5.0, and fully incorporates the VST intrument spec. Right now, each VST instrument is limited to a single output pair. This will be frustrating if like me, you've become totally addicted to Battery in recent months!
Old 11-21-2001, 11:14 AM

Default Re: 10 (recommended) steps to success

I think for now, for the styles of music you're talking about, you should really invest in a quality outboard sampler with lots of memory.