Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2002, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Do you optimize after deleting large files?

Reinitializing the drive is the quickest and most effective way of defraging. Of course anything on the drive is lost.

Plus Optimizer and Disk Warrior are probably the second most effective, but far more time consuming, but it does not destroy any data on the disk.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:47 PM

Steve - if you have 2 drives that are large enough to take the data as I have, I'll often erase large projects on Drive "1" - - then transfer the remaining data I want to save to Drive "2". Now Drive "2" has the data from Drive "1" that you want to save.
At this point, you can erase everything on Drive "1", effectively clearing the drive, then
transfer the copies from Drive "2" back to Drive "1" - - which roughly is equivalent to optimization.
A lot of people don't like Norton, but I've used
that optimization software for 10 years with great results - - but it does take longer and I think also makes the primary drive work harder than transfering between 2 drives.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiltronex Sound:
Steve - if you have 2 drives that are large enough to take the data as I have, I'll often erase large projects on Drive "1" - - then transfer the remaining data I want to save to Drive "2". Now Drive "2" has the data from Drive "1" that you want to save.
At this point, you can erase everything on Drive "1", effectively clearing the drive, then
transfer the copies from Drive "2" back to Drive "1" - - which roughly is equivalent to optimization.
A lot of people don't like Norton, but I've used
that optimization software for 10 years with great results - - but it does take longer and I think also makes the primary drive work harder than transfering between 2 drives.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Incorrect. Erasing data (ie deleting) adds to drive fragmentation by creating fragmented areas where data was stored. Copying the data back after deleting it adds again to fragmentation. You need to either reinitialize (format) the drive or run a drive defragmention utility such as Norton or (our preference) Disk Warrior and Plus Optimizer.

Once you have safely backed up the data from the drive, boot from your system disc, and using drive set-up, reinitialze the drive. this will erase all data, reformat the drive, and totally defragment it. It takes only a couple minutes.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:00 PM

Sorry Where...

Heres the REAL DEAL.....

if you copy the files you want to save to the 2nd drive, and reinitialize the 1st drive (with apple drive utility) you can then "copy" the files from 2 back over to one.

The Apple OS will automatically "defrag" the files when you copy them back over to the second drive!!!

(gotta love apple, and I'm sure this will save you some time too!!!)
Old 06-12-2002, 12:58 AM

Default Do you optimize after deleting large files?

I backed up and am ready to delete 2 projects from my system drives (about 7 gigs). Should I re-optimize my drive after deleting to ensure my disk drive provides the highest performance?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-12-2002, 08:24 AM

What if my drive is a 40gb drive partitioned into 2 - 20gb drives...If I copy the audio to the 2nd partition, can I reinitialize the 1st partition without affecting the 2nd?

Steve
Old 06-12-2002, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kris whitten:
Sorry Where...

Heres the REAL DEAL.....

if you copy the files you want to save to the 2nd drive, and reinitialize the 1st drive (with apple drive utility) you can then "copy" the files from 2 back over to one.

The Apple OS will automatically "defrag" the files when you copy them back over to the second drive!!!

(gotta love apple, and I'm sure this will save you some time too!!!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, but you are wrong again.

The drive is defragmented when you reinitialze. Also, it is not the files that are fragmented, it is the disc they are stored on. Copying files does not defragment. Any data stored on a disk fragments the disk. The more data is stored and deleted, the more fragmented a disc becomes.

For more info on disc fragmentation and Apple's recommendations, see the URL:

It explains in concise, clear terms how fragmentation occurs, and how to defrag.

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...&type=id&val=K C.17933
Old 06-12-2002, 09:24 AM

I'm really glad this topic came up. I have been putting off defragging my drives for a long time. I'm going to do it this evening thanks to Kris's advice. See...the DUC is actually useful.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:47 AM

We have our drives set-up in our G-4 so that we always have a drive plus worth of space to back-up another drive, so we can easily defrag via initializing.

Our Master ATA Bus ) drive is an 80gb (Deskstar) that is partitioned 20gb (system folders and applications) and 60 gb strictly for back-up.

Two other internal drives reside, one slave on ATA bus 0 and one slave on ATA bus 1. Each is a 40gb (Deskstar). We regularly, (typically once a week) copy them to the 60gb partition, and reinitialize them, keeping them at optimum performance.

Our G-4 runs at peak efficiency, and we experience a very minimal amount of problems, typically nothing more than the need for a reboot to clear memory fragmentation once a day.

However, I highly recommend backing up files twice, once to a second drive, and once to removable media...CD-R, DVD-R, etc.. We comform to the theory that nothing is backed up unless it's backed up twice.

Always check your back-ups before deleting the originals.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:55 AM

I NEVER SAID YOU DIDN'T have to initalize the drive....

And if you COPY a file from one drive to another, the Apple OS "repacks" "defrags" "tidy's up" "organizes" (i'll get the proper term eventually)

The CONTENTS OF SAID FILE UPON COPYING IT.

Quote:
Copying files does not defragment
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And I guess you think that inside of a file there are no fragments???

Friggin' Fragmentors
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]