How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Mixture of Mono and Stereo busses

Hi all,

I'm doing a musical on an SC48. I've done straight plays before, and never had the need to mix mono and stereo busses before. But I do now. I need a mono bus for the vocals and a stereo bus for the band.

I can figure out how to do the mixture on the input side (Advanced panning mode) but not on the output side. I'd like to be able to add an EQ and compressor to the Band subgroup, but I can't find a way to do this. I can put mono plugs into 2 busses for the Left and Right, but they are not linked. This means I'd have to copy/ paste EQ settings, and my compressor might make the stereo image quite wobbly since the thresholds aren't linked.

Any way to do this inside the console?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Mixture of Mono and Stereo busses

The 24 buss vari-group mode was just added to the SC48 for Venue 3.0. Once you're in that mode, your groups become assignable just like aux sends (they're actually a 3rd page of sends in the aux control section). So instead of using the bus assign buttons, you use the variable group sends. In 24 bus mode you can link the groups (and auxes) into real stereo pairs and apply stereo EQ and compression plugins. It's a bit of a pain to have to use encoders to assign channels to the groups, but at least you can process the groups the way you want now. I have a feature request in to allow the use of the group assigns so that they automatically dial up those encoders to unity. I hope they implement it. Vote for it on the IdeaScale page!

Check out page 78 of the 3.0 User Guide for detail on setting up 24 bus mode.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks for this! I'm going to check it out. Sounds a little kludgey, but will allow me to do what I need to do.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM

And thanks for making me look further for a 3.0 version of the SC48 manual. I was looking the other day, and couldn't find it anywhere. That I knew it existed made me persevere...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM

You could use the L/R for band and Mono for your vocals. Then add the L/R and Mono to a Matrix and feed the PA from the Matrix section.