Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-20-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Pro Tools LE+

I'm a Pro Tools user for awhile now and keep being a digi-user since my AM3 through my Mbox & 002R (with 001 in the middle).
We've just recently started our project studio for small projects and we use the 002R. but still on some cases those 32tracks aren't enough... They're even not true voices like in TDM.

So as we speak there is still no TRUE solution for mid-size project studio. The gap between TDM system (HD1) and LE system (002 for example) is STILL more than twice to price of an 002 system.

So there are only 2 options in this budget:
1 is to buy older TDM system like PT24 with worse convertors and some RTAS limits.

2 move to ANY other DAW (Logic, Cubase, DP) and override the track limits.

So my thought is -
Why Digidesign cannot offer Pro Tools LE+ version that is iLok based. ok it'll cost something like 500-1000$ but it will enable LE users 3 major features:

1. 64 Voices! or even 48...(no track or "autovice")
2. The option to hook up 2 Digidesign LE Hardware to double your I/Os... (36Tracks with x2 002(r)s).
3. SYNC I/O support! for WC and other better syncing ways...

I'm now stuck with a crippled system while all the other DAWs offer greater track counts. it's hard to be a digiuser.

What's your say?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE+

May God hear your wish....
Old 12-20-2003, 06:24 AM

i wanna have an dsp 'light' card/fwmodule! something like the mackie uad or the likes....never gonna happen,but dreams.....
Old 12-20-2003, 02:29 PM

As you are all probably aware, Digidesign announced "innovative Pro Tools LE options" in the Dec 2003 issue of DigiNews at the fourthcoming 2004 Winter NAMM Convention, Anaheim, California, January 15 - 18.

Whilst i'm not holding my breath, lets hope maybe some or (dare i say) all of those options u listed are made true and that LE will eventually one day get the respect it deserves as being a valid and worthy Host contender. Personally, i think Digi should drop the words LE and replace them with the word Native. As it stands, we all know it doesn't come remotely close to features and options offered elsewhere by other native programs wether it be track count/voice count, built-in plug-ins, syncronisation options, I/O expansion etc, etc.

LE requires revision period, they need to ease-up and let go alittle and they need start looking at their self-created host program with the potential that we end users do...

If profits is all they ultimately care about then i guess this won't ever happen, but it's nothing short of a tease...

Peace
Old 12-20-2003, 03:43 PM

I just want to second all above proposals. It is true that we LE users are the 2nd class users (as opposed to the people who drop 10 g's). I am fine with this - some day I hope to be a TDM user and when that day comes, I expect that TDM systems will be taken care of first. LE will always be a starter spot. I don't think that Digi realized how far we LE users could push the systems. But now, DIGIDESIGN PLEASE TAKE NOTE....We LE (or Native - I greatly prefer that word) users are your future TDM customers. Treat me well now and I will give you enough money to put a child through Harvard by the time my career is over. All I want is to be able to link two 002r's. I wll pay. 48 tracks, linkable 002r's and an increased number of Digirack plugs (perhaps RTAS chorus, flange, phaser and Analog Channel/Vintage Warmer style tape saturation plug). That's all I need. My credit card is waiting for your signal....
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 12-21-2003, 01:39 AM

Quote:
We LE (or Native - I greatly prefer that word) users are your future TDM customers. Treat me well now and I will give you enough money to put a child through Harvard by the time my career is over
Thats the main idea. I've started my own personal studio with 001 Toolbox, add another laptop with MBox, and now we grew into a humble project studio with x2 MBoxs and 002R system.

While we outgrow this there is still no digidesign answer for "semi-pro" facilities. I really am consider purchasing d24+farm for true voice (32 ) but still why can't digi provide a mid-way TDM or LE system.

HD1: 10,000$ (i/o+core)
LE: 2300$+/- (for 002R)

The difference between LE & HD is huge!.
While TDM Mix system would be nice the 002R 96khz capabilities and ADA seems far better than the 888s...

Steinberg have Cubase SL/SX & Nuendo.
SL as far as I know isn't track limited just surround limit and has less Aux or something.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:53 AM

Similar thaoughts:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...5&o=93&fpart=1

I've recently checked out other options for larger track counts/more I/O. (Nuendo, Sampletude etc.) Everything else looks like a toy. I guess I'll have to wait for Digi.
Matthew 11:15
Old 12-21-2003, 07:08 AM

Yeah NAMM is coming!!!!!
So is MacWorld Jan.5.th - 9th.
Jobs is announcing goodies Jan.6th. at 9:00a.m.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:31 AM

Quote:
HD1: 10,000$ (i/o+core)
LE: 2300$+/- (for 002R)
The difference between LE & HD is huge!.
Sure is, and that's why PTle is a limited to 32 tracks version. If it wasn't, who'd buy the $10k systems?

Simple marketing.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:51 AM

I personally am greatly satisfied with PTLE, though can see some people's plight. I wouldn't mind extra I/O, but the track count is more than adequate for me, even without MIDI tracks. Granted, there are situations that require more than 32 "usable" tracks, but most home studios that I know barely pass the 16-20 track barrier. I do think the sync generally sucks, but I'm mostly sync'ing MIDI.

Again, there are limitations with every system, but PTLE's pluses far outweigh its minuses.
Peace