Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-02-2021, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried Protools on an M1 mac yet?

I have all the models in use.

5.1 12 core
7.1 16 core with Vega dual
Macbook pro 16 w 5600m
Macbook pro 13 m1

I would not use the m1 mac for work that makes me money. Too many trade offs regarding setup and speed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I have all the models in use.

5.1 12 core
7.1 16 core with Vega dual
Macbook pro 16 w 5600m
Macbook pro 13 m1

I would not use the m1 mac for work that makes me money. Too many trade offs regarding setup and speed.

Much respect. I think people are just a little bent out of shape when you call their machine that they do use for making music and money a "toy." It is a different tool for different tasks, just as a power drill is a different tool than a precision screwdriver. If I need to mount 200 sheets of dry wall with screwsl, the power drill is the right tool. If I need to thighten the screws on my glasses, the precision screwdriver is the right tool. Certainly there is a difference in power and capability. There is no need to call the precision screwdriver a "toy" because it was not designed for the same tasks.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 01-03-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I think this will change drastically when Avid & plug-in makers make M1 compatible versions (by sometime in the year 2053). Even running through Rosetta emulation apps perform better on my M1 MBP compared to the 2.0ghz 2020 Intel MBP.

But yes a future Apple Silicon version of the Mac Pro will undoubtedly stomp all over these first M1 devices.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post

But yes a future Apple Silicon version of the Mac Pro will undoubtedly stomp all over these first M1 devices.
Of course it will, just like intel ones, if not it would not be called a Mac Pro. But for my needs the Mac mini is just great, I even recorded and mixed a whole album of classical music at 192Khz (16 tracks) with an late 2012 i5 with only 16 gb ram...so o believe an M1 with 16 gb will perform just fine.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:12 PM

I wish they would build a machine that is neither overbuilt nor underbuilt for a ProTools rig. I don't need a $15,000 Mac Pro, but I'm also turned off by the laptop-class silicon in the Mini, and the soldered-in RAM and lack of room to add hard drives. I also don't want my display connected to my PC, because the PC goes inside the machine room and the display goes on the console. So the Imac line does not appeal either.

How about a $1500-$2000 dollar tower with a desktop class processor, room to add a couple SSD's, and 4 RAM slots? Why can't they appease the middle market?

It's getting close to time to upgrade, Avid did a great thing with Carbon... in the next year it will come down to either new Mac hardware to match, or another Hackintosh if Apple insists on dropping the ball.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:14 AM

I agree that a mid-level MP is needed today. However, there will rarely ever be an overbuilt machine as people often keep their Macs for many years, and PT and other software use more and more system resources, and will continue to do so. What was once a ridiculously fast machine machine when it was first released (the trashcan) is now feeling long in the tooth and flooded by certain VIs, even with 12 cores. The current MPs will one day be flooded, too. I think the M1s have a new kind of potential, and the fact that they're built in-house only enforces that.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
How about a $1500-$2000 dollar tower with a desktop class processor, room to add a couple SSD's, and 4 RAM slots? Why can't they appease the middle market?
Now that RAM is so closely integrated with their new chip I don't see RAM slots in Apple's future. Happy to be wrong though.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:20 PM

96 gigs ram is $1000 for the mac pro 7.1. If the new mac pro 8.1 with apple silicon has system on chip including ram it will be just as expensive as the current mac pro 7.1. No way it's 2 to 3k.

24 to 28 core m1x with 24 core apple gpu it's going to be 30k plus just like the Intel model.

Expect it to be expensive. But it will fly.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Now that RAM is so closely integrated with their new chip I don't see RAM slots in Apple's future. Happy to be wrong though.

C

I very much expect to see DIMMs in any Mac Pro like machine. It's a packaging and flexibility issue and packaging is likely very much to do with heat. DIMMs make that cooling easier. And might help Apple with vendor multi-sourcing and yield issues as Memory gets very large on some of these systems. Just lots of reasons to expect them to use DIMMs at the high end.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post

C
That's what I was thinking too. However I could imagine having 16-32 GB RAM built onto the processor package to do the initial heavy lifting and then allow 2-8 slots of slightly slower level 2 memory (or whatever they want to call it) to handle less processor/RAM intensive tasks that doesn't require the proximity and close integration to the processors. I'm not a system designer, so I don't know if that is reasonable or cost effective to build and sell. From an end user perspective, it seems to offer some benefits for content creators (audio, photo, 3-D, animation, video, etc.)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1