Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Kernel Panic with 003

I've recently started experiencing the so-called "kernel panic" fatal system error with a mix I've been working on. I've reviewed most of the other kernel panic threads I could find and my problem seems different than most. First of all, it only seems to occur on this one specific mix...all of the other projects I'm working on have not experienced any problems yet. And this mix is far less complicated than most of the other ones I'm working on...2 audio tracks in PT and 5 audio tracks coming in from Reason via ReWire. I have other mixes with many more audio tracks in both PT and Reason that have no problem.

Here's what happens: I can open up the mix in question and work for about 10-20 minutes with no problems. Then, for no apparent reason, PT will terminate. No "application has quit unexpectedly" error, no dialog to save, it's just instantly gone. Reason will remain open and responding long enough for me to save my work (luckily enough). As soon as I try to quit Reason or reopen PT (or if I do nothing for about a minute), the screen will go grey and I'll get the dreaded "You need to restart your computer" box. Upon restarting, I'll get the kernel panic error, which seems (to my eyes, at least...I'm no computer programmer) pretty similar to the error that most others are reporting.

However, I haven't seen any documented cases of this only happening with only a specific session. Most cases seem to revolve around hot-plugging an Mbox or using Safari. I have an 003 (I do have an Mbox2 that I use on the road sometimes, but it has never been plugged in during any of these crashes), and I always keep my wireless card off while PT is open and never use Safari.

So, that's the summary, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are my system specs:

Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2Gigs RAM
Mac OSX 10.4.11
Pro Tools 7.4cs10
Recording Hard Drive: Glyph GT050Q connected to built in Firewire 800 port
iLok, external mouse and keyboard connected via USB
003 Rack connected via Firewire 400
External monitor connected via DVI

I've gone through most of the seemingly applicable solutions in the main troubleshooting thread already and nothing has fixed the problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Kernel Panic with 003

Well I guess I've stumped everyone...nobody has any ideas? :)
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Avid

Have you tried 'import session data' to a new session?

Since this is only occurring with this session, it's likely session corruption and doing the above may get around the issue.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the idea DigiTechSupt, but this unfortunately did not solve the problem. The problem was apparently bigger than I had initially realized, and it has somehow gotten worse. It now seems to affect the majority of the sessions that I'm working on, and will always happen when I try to bounce to disk or export a region, regardless of whether or not Reason is running, so that eliminates Rewire or Reason as a possible cause. Any further ideas? Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Hi,

I would like to help figure out what is going on with your system/sessions.

In Pro Tools 8.0.3, we added better and more robust logging to help track down problems like the one you are seeing. When Pro Tools crashes, some information about the crash is written out to a log file. The log files are kept in the "LogFiles" folder that is next to the Pro Tools application.

Here's what you need to do...

1) Reproduce the crash you are seeing.
2) Look in the LogFiles folder and find the latest log file. The file name ends with .dlog
3) Email this "dlog" file to [email protected]. Please include your DUC user name and the hyper-link to this DUC thread (http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=262409) so I can track which post this came from.

Please put my name in the subject line of the email.

Thanks!