Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools 10 64bit Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFromBerlin View Post
So luckily Apple had programmed a 64->32 "bridge" to continue running 32 bit native AU Plugins in Logic.
The problem was -and is- that this bridge is a nightmare (opens windows and doesn't close them, crashes all the time etc) and I dearly hope Avid will do a better job programming something similar for PT (IF they do that).

I've heard of bridge woes with Logic and Cubase before. I wonder if this is a problem for people with Reaper?

For me the bridge function in Reaper has always been flawless. This is how it works with PT Reaper ReWire; I used the 64 bit format of the VI's in Reaper 32 bit... No problems. Even now, I'm using Reaper 64 bit for MIDI production and all of my 32 bit plugins work just fine... All the IK Multimedia VI's, the discontinued Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2, Waves SSL Bundle v7, Musician's 2 Bundle V6r8. etc... they all work just fine. It is very unlikely that PT will have a bridge function, but that's how it should work if it did.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 AM

Question Re: Is Pro Tools 10 64bit Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Yes.

You'll still benefit with your 12G of RAM. Your system allows PT to use the full 4G and the OS will take up 1-2G. You can always run a PT session in a nonvolatile RAM disk and get the same benefits as the Disk Cache(Even better in my opinion). RTAS and VST plug-ins run within the 4G limit of PT.

Shane
just joining in on the discussion, I am running 16GB RAM and it really is shame
I just cannot take advantage of this within Ptools..

i am considering purchasing a 10HD Native system for all merits mentioned here & on other threads...

in regards to plus ins running within the 4G limit, is this something that can be healed by running a DSP PCIe card!?? as in UAD-2 PCIe!??

those plug ins will no longer run off Ptools correct?

please correct me if im' wrong.. i'm grasping at straws here... I am a little concerned in regards to cost of upgrading to 11HD from 10HD if I buy in now! yes my interests are mainly in recording / mixing / mastering! high plug in count is not unusual for most of my mixes.. in fact i rely on 'em. as i mix in the box.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFromBerlin View Post

64 bit is GREAT for some styles to work, but it will be crucial for Avid to release some kind of bridge (which hopefully works a lot better than apple's AU-bridge) ...otherwise some of us might have to wait for 1-2 years until switching to PT 11 because they dont want to lose a lot of their wonderful RTAS and TDM Plugins I guess ... (?)
+1, i would suspect i'm not the only one in this boat. there's no point in running wonderful 64bit PT11 without my beloved plug ins... of which most are WAVES!. specially when it comes to reverbs.. not a chance am i giving 'em up...

alas.. we wait..
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of bridge/wrapper. PT10 is the bridge. While I understand wanting to have PT11 still support TDM/RTAS and be 64-bit, that's just a coding (read reliability) nightmare.

And I'm sure by the time PT11 releases we'll have AAX versions of all the first party plugs that will make the transition. And not all plugs may make the cut. It's the 3rd party guys you may have to make a call on which is more important. Those plugs that aren't AAX or whatever new features PT11 has.

Avid has no control over 3rd party plugs and have given them a good while now. I'm sure all the big guys (waves) knew about AAX before PT10 was even released. So don't get mad at avid. While avid does def make some decisions I don't understand, making PT10 the "bridge" is one I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk