Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Windows Explorer 9

Anyone installed this on a PT box? Any issues?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Windows Explorer 9

Even more hits than bin Laden or Britney's boobs, are the number of posts detailing how to remove IE 9.

I've seen companies do some pretty stupid stuff in the name of marketing or some other agenda, but IE 9 takes the cake.

You know the "search" box in the upper right corner of IE 7 and IE 8? You know, where you type in "Britney's boobs" and get pages of links from your favorite search provider?

The search box is now gone!

Now, you search from the address box, where you normally type in your "www.xyz.com" addresses to visit web pages. So you type in your search term and God knows what kind of pages will come up.

And I truly believe this is something Microsoft is doing in an effort to get people to use their stupid Bing search engine instead of Google.

Microsoft's products and tools have been a big part of my being able to make a pretty good living over my last 22 years in the IT field. I'm not going to argue the point or get into any flame wars, but Microsoft makes the best products for meeting businesses IT needs.

But like any other company, Microsoft has had their share of missteps, and removing the search box from IE 9 is a big one.

If you're considering moving to IE 9, I would strongly recommend waiting until Microsoft brings back the search box, which I predict will happen, say, by Monday. It really is that big a blunder.

And I don't want to hear about some alleged superiority of Firefox or whatever, they are simply not suitable for business use.

So let's stay on topic.

Badmouth Microsoft all you want to for this one screw up, but then leave it at that...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

"And I truly believe this is something Microsoft is doing in an effort to get people to use their stupid Bing search engine instead of Google."

Just make Google your default search engine and,,,, voila,,,,,,,, there it is.
  1. Click the Tools icon at the far right of the browser window.
  2. Select Internet options.
  3. In the General tab, find the Search section and click Settings.
  4. Select Google.
  5. Click Set as default and click Close.

http://www.google.com/homepage/search/help.html

"removing the search box from IE 9 is a big one."

Why is it a big one when you can have a much cleaner interface and do the very same thing from the address bar?

MS will in all likely hood never bring back the search bar and not having it is really not any blunder at all.

As to the OP's question.
I don't know of any issues with IE9 and PT.
IE9 runs very very efficiently and just about launches in half the time it takes Firefox to launch. Pages seem to load much faster too but I have not tested that.

GD
Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 AM

GtrDude...

As I noted, I've been doing IT for 22 years, I know how to set my default search engine.

I also know that at least as far back as IE 7 you could go into the Advanced tab on Internet Options and have IE search from the address bar.

I do a lot of searching, and the Search Box allows me to have a nice unclutted search "history" instead of one cluttered up with every page I've ever visited that has a matching search term in the URL.

I also don't want my address box history cluttered up with every search term I've ever used.

I have my search box located at the end of my address bar; you can't get a "much cleaner interface" than that. You do know that you can "drag" the interface elements around, don't you?

Quite a few of the IT guys I've talked to are going to be skipping IE 9 because of the removal of the search box.

For those of us who do a lot of searching, both professionally and personally, loss of the search box is very much "a big one"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM

The only negative I have seen regarding IE9 and an Avid product is the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack.

The ERXP is not able to update the firmware of the 11R with IE9 installed. But after the firmware is installed, you can re-install IE9 with no problems.

I havent seen any negative effects with IE9 and PT9.

IE9 is a great step for MS, even though its total rip off of Google Chrome, which is my current favorite Browser.

There is no need for a search box, you now have the Omni Box and it will function much better then a dedicated search box, and keeps the interface lean and clean, the search box is not coming back. If you want a search box, download one of the many add on search bars.

IE9 has great integration with Windows 7, however i still prefer Chrome as my main browser, but use IE9 for ilok.com and other sites that just work better with IE.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Quite a few of the IT guys I've talked to are going to be skipping IE 9 because of the removal of the search box.

At the same time many IT people I know of are now using IE for the first time in years and leaving Chrome and Firefox.

GD
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM

I have to admit that following my first post on this subject I did some additional research on IE 9.

While I did not come across it during my initial research, on the second round I found a post that mentions a setting on the search provider page that might well allow functionality similar to that of the search box. Unfortunately it is not "checked" by default.

I've got three computers here at the house so as soon as I can find the time I am going to reinstall IE9 on the one I originally installed it on and see if this setting will resolve the issue.

And I'll report back with my findings...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM

My main internet machine is running XP so no IE9 where need it. My first impression is that its fast and renders well. And I like the minimalistic interface.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88