Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 12 Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Re: MIDI Production PT 12 Impossible

I've found the same, sadly, on my 2 x 3.46 GHz 6 core Mac Pro with 32GB RAM.

Pro Tools has become an actual disaster for my productivity and output - I'm someone who has been using it since version 3 and the instability that has crept in recently is mind-blowing and for the first time, deeply threatening of my ability as a professional to deliver.

These ridiculously fundamental errors are creeping in all over the place. I've done complete from scratch operating system builds in addition to every other trick in the considerable book I've been writing over the past two and a half decades on Pro Tools.

The "missing note 1" error is just one of a **growing** list of errors. I recently had a few weeks where, in between cancelled sessions to rebuild my rig from scratch, Pro Tools would stop every 20-30 seconds or so, including, or especially, when recording. It's actually EMBARASSING now - and for the first time I'm feeling my platform of choice is legitimately threatening my stellar reputation in this industry.

I'm sorry, this has devolved into a rant, but Avid I would like you to know I've just installed DAWs from two of your competitors and have begun experimenting in my down time with a view to make a full time switch. More than anything, I hope you can just sort your sh*t out and stop it with these amateur hour errors, but you're showing the same signs of hubris as Apple - coasting on a past reputation for innovation while being completely out of touch with what people need to actually use you for, and your inability to deliver on the basics.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM

You're telling a guy on fixed income with no budget to make an upgrade that will almost certainly have no effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Bump up to 16GB of ram. 8GB is not enough regardless of what Avid says. 32GB is best if possible.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Bump up to 16GB of ram. 8GB is not enough regardless of what Avid says. 32GB is best if possible.
And do something about that El Crapitan as well. That is one of the worst OSX versions Apple ever came up with. Maybe Sierra if the op's machine supports it (and that is an ancient machine he's on).

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And do something about that El Crapitan as well. That is one of the worst OSX versions Apple ever came up with. Maybe Sierra if the op's machine supports it (and that is an ancient machine he's on).
OP's Mac Pro seems to be a 4,1, which is not compatible with Sierra. However a simple firmware upgrade can fix this - completely safe and harmless procedure by the way.

On a side note, Yosemite, for me, was the worst (except maybe for MacOS 7.5.2 back in the day ) - El Capitan was pretty solid, and fast, Pro Tools liked it too. So far Sierra runs great, as long as these last few OSes are running on SSDs though, otherwise they're a pain...
NI Komplete Ultimate 11 • Albion One • Soundiron Choirs • Pianoteq • Analog Lab • VSL SE/Chamber Strings • etc
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
OP's Mac Pro seems to be a 4,1, which is not compatible with Sierra. However a simple firmware upgrade can fix this - completely safe and harmless procedure by the way.

On a side note, Yosemite, for me, was the worst (except maybe for MacOS 7.5.2 back in the day ) - El Capitan was pretty solid, and fast, Pro Tools liked it too. So far Sierra runs great, as long as these last few OSes are running on SSDs though, otherwise they're a pain...
Agreed on Yosemite - when I tried it as a third partition on my system it made me want to take a flying leap off of it Extremely unstable. That you're okay with EC is unusual given the reports here about it that have earned it it's nickname.

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 PM

The point here is that there are many different systems and many different setups, but everyone trying to do MIDI production is having the same problems.

MIDI composition and editing is a fundamental DAW function that ProTools had working perfectly a few years ago (ProTools 9) and now it is not working.
So if Avid cannot get the basic DAW functions working, then what does that say about the more difficult issues.

I get the AAE-6101 error constantly. So is it my Mac 4,1 machine (14% CPU usage) or is it incompetent engineering from Avid?

On the same machine, PT 9 works well but with the new and improved PT 12 it doesn't work. I don't follow the logic here.

John Clavin
Old 04-21-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeLoop View Post
The point here is that there are many different systems and many different setups, but everyone trying to do MIDI production is having the same problems.

MIDI composition and editing is a fundamental DAW function that ProTools had working perfectly a few years ago (ProTools 9) and now it is not working.
So if Avid cannot get the basic DAW functions working, then what does that say about the more difficult issues.

I get the AAE-6101 error constantly. So is it my Mac 4,1 machine (14% CPU usage) or is it incompetent engineering from Avid?

On the same machine, PT 9 works well but with the new and improved PT 12 it doesn't work. I don't follow the logic here.

John Clavin
You are missing something really simple and that is because PT9 works on your machine that PT12 should and that is a fallacy big time. PT 12 has more stringent requirements than PT9 ever had. It would be like saying that my old Toshiba Satellite 1955 laptop that ran Sonar 8 with Win XP should run PT12 with the current Windoze version no problem - ain't gonna to happen - full stop. You're running an ancient computer with a OSX version that has the well-earned nickname of El Crapitan for a good reason. You can't blame Avid for this one but yourself.

You're on a fool's errand trying to get your setup to work. You've been given the info needed to help you right here in this thread. Trust those of us who have been through these kinds of wars when we say that something's an issue.

If you want a daw that runs on ancient hardware look in to Digital Performer or Garageband

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeLoop View Post

John Clavin
Hopefully they are separate boot drives.

C
PT 12.7.1 HDX OMNI+HDX8x16 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.12.5 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL-GML -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Musicman 691,

Share your experiences here doing MIDI production......

Are you getting clip overlaps, MIDI notes not sounding, MIDI notes disappearing, reliably cutting and pasting groups of notes, or AAE - errors?
What about adjusting knob and fader parameters on plugins and virtual instruments while playing back tracks?

I get tired of know-it-all people who have no real experience with the issue.

John Clavin
Old 04-22-2017, 03:21 PM

MIDI problems like these will happen on the newest machines. It's not a matter of Mac/PC performance, it's a Pro Tools problem. Nothing else.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 8GB RAM
ProTools 12.8.1
MacOS 10.12.3
MOTU 4pre
MOTU 8pre USB
Axiom Pro 25