Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 05-29-2014, 04:13 AM

Default C|24 setting up headphones in recording room

Hello folks,

I'm setting up a C|24 from 2003-2004 at a friend's place but I'm having some questions regarding the setup of headphones. We use two rooms: one control room where the C|24 is located and a separate recording room. A big multiblock cable goes through the wall to connect both rooms. When doing overdubs, musicians in the recording room will want to hear stuff, obviously. Right now, I have connected output A 1-2 to the monitors in the control room and A 3-4 goes via the multiblock to the recording room. I use sends in the PT mix to send audio to A 3-4. I then hook up a headphone amp to the multiblock in the recording room and plug headphones in the amp. The audio comes through, but it is very quiet, even when boosting the levels in the PT mix window. I'm thinking this might not be the most elegant solution and that I might be missing something. I've Googled a lot but haven't found a real answer. I've also checked the user manual of the C|24 but haven't really found a solution. So my question is: what would be the best way to hook things up? Also, there is no talkback functionality in the current setup, which makes me think even more that something is not right.

I'd appreciate your answers!

Best regards!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:56 AM

Default Re: C|24 setting up headphones in recording room

No answers until you tell me what a multiblock is... It's a term I've not come across before, and I learned a long time ago that it's better to look stupid by asking the question than it is to be stupid by not asking.

Okay...I'll go ahead and answer your question, but you have to promise to tell me what a multiblock is...

In your C|24 manual (Page 23), examine the connections shown under
Pro Tools In (PT 1-6 + Cue 1-2). Assuming you are using the standard C|24 DB25 cables, this will connect the cue system inputs to outputs 7 & 8.

Then jump to Page 25 and examine the connections shown under
Cue Outputs (Cue + SLS +TB). You would connect your cue system outputs ("channels" 1 & 2 on the standard DB25) to your headphone amp outputs.

It is this "trip" through the C|24 that adds the Talkback to the cue system.

In Pro Tools, you would change the cue routing from outputs 3 & 4 to outputs 7 & 8 and you should be good to go.

Check your C|24 manual for how to use the cue system, as the cue signal can also be routed to the C|24's onboard headphone output.

Now...about that multiblock...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM

A snake thru the wall
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I might have translated the Dutch word "multiblok" a bit too straightforward. This is what we mean by it:

I hope it makes sense now

Thanks Bill Denton, I'm going to try that out. I'll report back if I don't succeed. Thanks a lot.

Best regards!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 AM

Hi, first post here! is it possible to route the cue output to any of the AES outputs at all, been trying to figure this out, but cant find a way to do this, thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM

I have my slate talkback patched into a patchbay, which I bring up on an aux input in PT and then bus that track to whichever outputs I need it to go to. I have a four channel headphone amp and I can have the talkback go to all four and have discrete headphone mixes for all 4 cuemixes. So lets as on analog channel 3 input is my talkback, so I have an aux input which has its input to analog 3. Lets say AES out is 9-10, so send ALL tracks to 9-10 via the bus AND send the aux input also to 9-10. Now you can control the level of all tracks to the talent AES cue and your talk back level to their cue also.

sugarhillstudios.com
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
I have my slate talkback patched into a patchbay, which I bring up on an aux input in PT and then bus that track to whichever outputs I need it to go to. I have a four channel headphone amp and I can have the talkback go to all four and have discrete headphone mixes for all 4 cuemixes. So lets as on analog channel 3 input is my talkback, so I have an aux input which has its input to analog 3. Lets say AES out is 9-10, so send ALL tracks to 9-10 via the bus AND send the aux input also to 9-10. Now you can control the level of all tracks to the talent AES cue and your talk back level to their cue also.
Thanks, thats what I was after!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 AM

One more question guys. First, it appears that the C|24 and the Control 24 are two different beasts. I'm talking about a Control 24 here, sorry for the confusion

Anyway, I have everything connected properly now, except for one of the two 96 I/O's I'm using. The outputs of the first 96 I/O go through a SUB-D / jack cable to "Pro Tools Sources In" on the back of the Control 24. However, I still need to connect the second 96 I/O. Can I connect this cable to "External Sources In", the SUB-D connector next to the "Pro Tools Sources In" connector? Or should I hook up that second 96 I/O in some other way? I don't have a second cable here to try it out, so I'm asking before I'm ordering one (they're quite expensive I guess).

Thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Peters86 I dont quite understand why you need the outputs of the 2nd 96 to be connected to the Control 24. Outputs 1-2 on the first 96 is connected to the main Pro Tools source in. The External in would be for your computers play back or another device, like an mp3 player or cd, tape machine yada yada...

IF you need the 2nd 96 for more headphone cuemixes just hook them up to a patch bay and patch into a headphone amp. No need for another expensive cable.

sugarhillstudios.com