Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2019, 11:15 PM

Default iLok and a proxy

I'm trying to get the addresses for iLok Cloud unblocked at a school. iLok have no customer support that I can contact - even though it says on their site you can contact them via the FAQ. So I'm asking here. So far I got this address unblocked:

Name: ilokcloud.com
Address: 74.201.85.140

But on a MacBook, I still get "A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable" I've tried Little Snitch. It shows some addresses for Avid collaboration but they don't seem totally necessary for a local session. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:20 PM

Default Re: iLok and a proxy

I know the ports that have to be open for Google to work...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en436075
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Yes, funny person, I saw that article and it doesn't mention iLok Cloud anywhere in it. Also it was seen by the web filtering team and they said the same thing. But the message I get when I use Pro Tools is from the iLok License Manager. So if that article does relate to iLok, then it's a crap piece of FAQ and I guess Avid hasn't improved in the many years since I last had the misfortune to deal with them.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:58 PM

I took "Avid License Control" to mean iLok Cloud. And assumed it *was* badly written.

Since there is no clear customer visible thing called "Avid License Control" and the knowledge-base base article does not define that---but then it's not a Pro Tools doc... they need one.

But AFAIK/was assuming is all the licensing is based on the same underlying iLok technology.

If you are following some documentation don't waste everybody's time here. Tell us exactly what you are doing and what does or does not work.

You likely have paid support, but either way support for licensing/activation issues is free. File a support case on Avid's support site.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 AM

I am not following any documentation. I'm looking for clues. This is an old problem which relates to iLok Cloud behind a proxy. I know that in the USA this is not a common issue, because of the different (read more modern) types of proxies used (when they are) Proxies (firewalls) are very common in schools here. The one I am trying to work with is run by the Government and getting amendments to the rules is time consuming. I am faced with buying 30 iLok USB sticks, in a budget already stretched. iLok promised a proxy login and password option on their software a long time ago but obviously decided it wasn't a priority. I have used Wireshark and Little Snitch and there is still a problem on OS X which is difficult to track down. Avid basically subcontract their licensing. Therefore, support for it is not their priority and yes; I've asked them. They have an alternative and it's a physical device. If it is required that the Avid servers also are needed as well as iLok; then the dialogue is misleading - nothing new there. So I have asked the web filter team to see if the CNAMEs mentioned in the FAQ are open or closed for students. This is of course really an iLok issue but they have no support system. I appreciate you taking the time to answer this thread.