Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Exclamation importing production dialog to protools for XMLpro workflow

Hi all!

We are using XMLpro from Gallery to make XML-lists to Protools Sessions.

I have Production dialog that I want to import to PT (not copy) so I can relink to the original files.

The problem is that it takes very long time for protools to import files even though Im not making a copy.

Any suggestions?

/Benny
Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Re: importing production dialog to protools for XMLpro workflow

Hi Benny,

We use XMLPro daily. In our workflow it doesn't take much time to relink PT sessions created by XMLPro with production sound. Just a normal search time. If you narrow the searching options to the correct folder it is almost instantaneous.
Did you previously extracted the iXML metadata from production sound and sent it to FCP in a XML file?
Do you know if FCP assistant have imported that XML and then the sound files?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks.

My plan was to import all production audio in one session, about 250GB of audio. Its 8track monofiles recorded with SD744.

My thought was that the dialog editor has the fredom ti choose between all scenes and all takes thru one session.

Is this a bad idea?

/benny
Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 AM

Hi Benny,
Well, I do think it is a bad idea to import the entire production sound into one PT session, because it´s just a lot of material (250Gb).
What we do here, is to import only the production sound of the scenes involved in that reel we are editing.
We organize our movie in reels, and each reel has its PT session. So, when we´re working on that specific reel, we import the production sound of the scenes of that reel and leave them on a side of the timeline, so the dialog editor can choose between takes with no problems.
I really suggest you to go to this link and read a document we wrote talking exactly about this kind of workflow.
Here´s the link:
http://www.jldiaz.com.ar/lectura-en.php?name=FCPaXMLaPT

Best,
José Luis Díaz