Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 AM

Default recording guitar amp with 2 mic's simultaneously

hi guy's,

how can i record my guitar amp with 2 mic's simultaneously, when i only have 1 xlr input ?

should i use a xlr-trs cable and plug it to the "guitar in" input ( and choose "guitar in" on the i/o settings on pro tools ), or use the cable to connect to the "line in" input ( and choose "line in" on the i/o settings on pro tools ), or maybe a different way ?

all that taken under the impression that i can actually record 2 tracks simultaneously with the 11r ...

i'de sure like some advise here...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Default Re: recording guitar amp with 2 mic's simultaneously

wow... no one replied ...

so, maybe i should try another one.
i'm recording my guitar with my pedalboard with an sm57.
from my delay ( which has stereo outputs ), i connect a trs cable to the guitar input of the 11r. so, i record 2 tracks at once: the first is the sm57 ( i/o is mic in ) & second is the guitar>pedalboard> direct to the 11r with just an amp&cab simulation on ( i/o is eleven rig ).

some how, on the eleven rig track i get a very muddy sound - i tried connecting my guitar straight to the 11r ( not through my pedal board ) with the same amp&cab simulation and got a much lively/brighter sound, why is that ?

please note that i need my pedalboard in the chain because of the od/dist pedals i want to use before the amp&cab simulations.

here's a pic of my board:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM

There is only one mic preamp built into the 11R (the xlr mic input). If you want to use more than one mic, you will need to get another mic preamp, which hooks up to one of the line inputs on the back. Ideally, you would get a 2 channel mic preamp and use it with both line inputs and just skip using the built in one. That way both mics would go through the same kind of mic preamp.

There are some inexpensive 2 channel mic preamps you can check out.

As for your delay pedals, you might want to try hooking them up to the FX Loop, and then connect your guitar directly to the guitar in jack.

You can then still set the fx loop at different places in the chain, such as before the amp/cab simulation.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
As for your delay pedals, you might want to try hooking them up to the FX Loop, and then connect your guitar directly to the guitar in jack.

You can then still set the fx loop at different places in the chain, such as before the amp/cab simulation.
my aim is to:
1. record my guitar signal going through my pedalboard and my amp > recorded with sm57
2. record the guitar signal going through my pedalboard and then plug it to the eleven rack to get an amp&cab simulation.

the only way to do the latter is to split the signal from my delay ( which is the last pedal in the chain on my pedalboard ), and connect the right stereo output to the guitar input on the 11r.

your suggestion to use the fx loop is good only for delay's solely, but how about the whole pedalboard ( which has od, wha, comp, phase ect ) ? how should i connect it ?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplatner View Post
my aim is to:
1. record my guitar signal going through my pedalboard and my amp > recorded with sm57
2. record the guitar signal going through my pedalboard and then plug it to the eleven rack to get an amp&cab simulation.

the only way to do the latter is to split the signal from my delay ( which is the last pedal in the chain on my pedalboard ), and connect the right stereo output to the guitar input on the 11r.

your suggestion to use the fx loop is good only for delay's solely, but how about the whole pedalboard ( which has od, wha, comp, phase ect ) ? how should i connect it ?
how about you go out mono from the pedalboard into the guitar in of the Eleven Rack, and set "Output to Amp 1" to be what the Guitar Input sees. You then send out from Output to Amp 1 to your Amp. Your virtual Rig will still be set to Guitar Input. In PT, your tracks should be set like this respectively. Real Amp track = Mic Input, Eleven Rack Track = Eleven Rig, and if you want to record the signal coming out of your pedal board for later reamping purposes, you would set yet another track to "Guitar In".
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
how about you go out mono from the pedalboard into the guitar in of the Eleven Rack, and set "Output to Amp 1" to be what the Guitar Input sees. You then send out from Output to Amp 1 to your Amp. Your virtual Rig will still be set to Guitar Input. In PT, your tracks should be set like this respectively. Real Amp track = Mic Input, Eleven Rack Track = Eleven Rig, and if you want to record the signal coming out of your pedal board for later reamping purposes, you would set yet another track to "Guitar In".
that's a good idea ! thank's.
i tried connecting from my pedalboard to the guitar in, and turning on only
amp&cab sim on the 11r. the sound i got was very muddy, is something on my pedalboard causing that ? it's a totally different sound going from my pedalboard, even if all the pedals are off...seems that plugging straight into the guitar in input has much vital tone...