Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-05-2002, 11:32 PM

Default Plug-ins for vocals?

As you can judge by my question,im new to PTLE.
Im tryin to record a vocal with PTLE and the Digi 001...all i have is the computer and the I/O box interfece....no compressor, no mixer...nothing
What plug-ins that came with the bundle system do you recomend to use for vocal? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Tx for you answers....... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Plug-ins for vocals?

Normally, I'd suggest that you avoid any effects on the vocals when recording, and save it for the mix. Okay, maybe a little compression, but definitely avoid EQ until you mix. The Digirack Compressor is not the greatest, but can get the job done. Same with the Digirack EQ's. Serviceable but not spectacular. Again, record the vocal without any EQ, and add it to taste later.

If you bought the Digi 001 Factory, then the 1176 or LA2A compressors are worth a try. If you're looking for additional plug ins, I think I can state without fear of too many dissenting replies that the Waves stuff is excellent...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:54 AM

Yes. The Waves stuff is great. Do what ever you must to get them all!!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:53 AM

Go with the new Waves Platinum 3.5 if you can swing it. Someone said that www.8thstreet.com is selling the entire bundle now for around 1200.00. The Waves Renaisance bundle is great for those that don't want to spend that much and includes an EQ, Comp, and Reverb.
I always track with reverb, usually Renaisance Reverb. I set the reverb at -4.7, and wet at 27.
I then adjust it in the mix.

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by finalcut:
Do what ever you must to get them all!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...Within the confines of law, or without having to sell your body for horrible things. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you can't spend $1000 on a set of plugs, the DIGI plugs will be fine if you understand how EQ and compression works. But yeah, Waves plugs are still the best. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 09-06-2002, 10:37 AM

As usual, no one read the initial post correctly and have gone on a Waves sales pitch.
Tha man wants to know what plug-ins to use with what he has! He has no compressor, mixer, nothing.

Do this:
Record the vocals with no effects at all straight in through the Digi001. You can't use compression while tracking with the Digi001 anyways, unless you use a separate Mic-pre.
Once recorded, add a compressor and try the preset for vocals. You can tweek it to taste. I've even used a couple of compressors inline to smooth out vocals nicely. By the way, I like the compressor plug-in that came with ProTools. It is very usefull and does a nice job for most applications.

Now do this:
Create a stereo auxilary track and insert a D-Verb on there. Set the Input of the Aux track to a stereo pair (1-2 or 3-4).
On the vocal track, set the Output to the same bus pairs that is on the Aux track. You control the amount of reverb by the little fader that pops up when you route your output. You can also change the kind of reverb you want by making changes on the D-verb itself.

You can also route the outputs of other tracks to this same Aux track to take advantage of the reverb without having to use several instances of D-verb. It'll save you processing power for other things.

Hope this helps.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 09-06-2002, 01:55 PM

If you want to compress while tracking, just use an Aux track for your in signal and put some light compressor on it and output that one to an Audio track. No prob.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix