Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Quicktime

I have been unable to view video to my client TV monitor using the "Quicktime Reference" as generated by DV Express. The Video features in Pro-Tools otherwise works fine. If I use a codec, such as sorenson or cinepak to encode the video, then I can view the video through the Client TV monitor, but I cannot scrub the video.

I have been in contact with the maker of my video dispaly card, which is a Matrox Parhelia 128. Matrox, puzzled by this, did some testing in their Lab and discovered that there is an error in quicktime. They have notified apple and hopefully Apple will address this.

I am bringing this to your attention so that you can look into this and also apply pressure to Apple to rectify the problem and solve this Video out to client monitor issue. To me it is a big deal.

Does this make sense to you, and can you do something about it?

To view the entire responses from Matrox go to this address.
http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

This is the last posting on the Matrox site that I have received from Matrox Tech Support, who have been wonderful.

Please Advise.
Many Thanks
Paul.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Paul,

our QA lab and the Product Manager responsible for the video portion of our graphic cards have sent an email to Apple describing this problem.

The problem is an overlay problem where quicktime is not using hardware overlay to playback the media clips. Instead, they are reverting to blitting the media clips during playback.

Most, if not all, graphic cards with a dvdmax feature require that the media player play back the clips using hardware overlay from the graphic card.

From our tests with both our cards and nVidia cards, Quick Time 6.x will only play the following .MOV clips if the video window is covered by either a drop down menu in QuickTime or another window. If the video window is not covered in any way Quick Time will Blit. The only clip that we have found to play back using overlay whether the video window is covered or not is the whale.mov clip.

toystory2-t_480(1).mov
Sorenson Video, 480x264, Millions
157.6 K bytes/sec

TBS Monkey Movie Alien.mov
Sorrenson Video, 320x240, Millions
82.8 K bytes/sec

Tarzan(1).mov
Cinepack, 160x120, Millions
53.0 K bytes/sec

followshipofthering_480.I.mov
Sorenson Video 3, 480x260, Millions
111.6 K bytes/sec

whale.mov (Allways plays using overlay)
Microsoft Video Utlity, 200x150, Millions
54.5 K bytes/sec

PS: Feel free to point the folks from Apple to this thread if it helps you in anyway.