Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Avid Everywhere...

Until they announce that they are selling the service to another company and promise that we will be "in good hands".........
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM

This technology is probably a few years away from any kind of usable maturity. Avid doesn't have anything fully baked yet. I believe it will be rolled out slowly allowing for mid course corrections as the need arises. It might not be the best solution but if it's built into every copy of ProTools it might become the best known most used solution. Basically a game changer.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Until they announce that they are selling the service to another company and promise that we will be "in good hands".........
AMEN

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
The quote rings a bell.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=205905

Needless to say that no new features were ever introduced after selling the product.

Frank.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 AM

It all looks very swanky, but does it really do anything massively different than what we can already achieve with existing workflows and providers?
Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't this a little 'Emperors new clothes' -ish?

It reminds me of Avid coming up with the brilliant idea of using Media Composers synced up to Pro Tools to provide the video for an Isis workflow, when we'd all been happily using video in our own timelines for years!

WeTransfer, Dropbox, even IDisc in its day work perfectly well.
They may not be secure but the internet is not secure by its nature.

Call me old fashioned but, DHL, a motorcycle courier with a drive? Much cheaper. (I'm sure I'll be shouted down for that one) ;-)

Also I don't know even the fastest current broadband connection is consistently reliable enough to cope with an Isis type workflow in 'the cloud'?

I admire them for their vision, but at the same time I would have been more excited to see a raft of software fixes at NAB rather than this.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a grumpy day.
Vent over.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I admire them for their vision, but at the same time I would have been more excited to see a raft of software fixes at NAB rather than this.
To put it into perspective, competing DAWs (the one that starts with an N for example) have been able to do live track-based collaboration for many years and now have internet syncing built in so it's good they are catching up a bit there and tying it tightly into a proprietary home-base like the iTunes/Apple way of making money.

I don't think the guys over at SourceConnect are having a party after that announcement.

Interesting move. I always had the impression that AVID avoids stepping into the field of their third-party mfgs.

Hope they fix the video engine before this sees the light of day.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM

The other company that Avid is terrified of starts with an A. Adobe's Premiere is poised to take over the mid-level of the video editing market. Interesting times...
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Exactly the reference.
AudioVision
Trillium Labs
Expansion Chassis HD (which barely worked)
ICON

The claim could be made that the landscape has changed and that this is the future. But isn't that always the case? Until it isn't anymore...

I remain very skeptical. We can do a lot of this stuff already. Behemoth solutions are not always the best solutions. We'll see.

It would be nice to have a video engine that works flawlessly and some nagging major bugs fixed. I might be excited by that.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
It all looks very swanky, but does it really do anything massively different than what we can already achieve with existing workflows and providers?
Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't this a little 'Emperors new clothes' -ish?
Hello. There actually are some very cool features coming to Pro Tools when this is rolled out. Freezing of plug ins and remote collaborations will be very useful indeed in certain scenarios.

Check out this video from You Tube that someone filmed at NAB. You can't hear the audio that well at times but you can clearly see some of these features.

It remains to be seen how and when these things roll out, how much they will cost and most importantly how stable it will all be. But looking at what's involved it's definitely not just the Emperor's New Clothes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSUjBblj0ac

Other pertinent You Tube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pz_6ZIy2To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib14YqSG3gU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTex5BtN9g
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM

Hi Froyo,

Now plug-in freezing, that is something that would be really useful!
Where does it say anything about that?

Thanks for all the video links too. Don't get me wrong I'm sure its all great stuff and I'll probably find myself using it in a year or so's time and wondering how I ever got by without it.

Like Frank and Minister say too though its just not what we were hoping to get from NAM. Its not as pressing a concern to me as a piece of software I have to earn my living with every day, that is still unstable a year after release.

It does look great for musicians that live a long way from each other.