How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 AM

Default PT 11 and OSX version confusion

I'm on PT 11.3.1 and OSX 10.10.5

I read that El Capitan might not be as available after today (because Sierra is out, I guess).

Should I stay on Yosemite?

And I see here that there is v11.3.2 and it's the only version that supports 10.10.5, but when I check for updates, PT says I'm up to date. So, I'm already using a non-supported configuration.

What is recommended for my situation?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Default Re: PT 11 and OSX version confusion

If everything is working well, and you plan to stay on 11, I wouldn't do a thing.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Uh no do not upgrade to El Capitan.

If you think there may be a reason in future you might really really need to upgrade to El Capitan and not Sierra then you can download the installer now from the app store but not install it. It will then stay in your app store.

El Crapitan has been an awful OS X release for audio specific and other reasons. Sierra looks like it will be better.

If you absolutely need an older OS X release in future then Apple support can likely get it for you.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh no do not upgrade to El Capitan.

If you think there may be a reason in future you might really really need to upgrade to El Capitan and not Sierra then you can download the installer now from the app store but not install it. It will then stay in your app store.

El Crapitan has been an awful OS X release for audio specific and other reasons. Sierra looks like it will be better.

If you absolutely need an older OS X release in future then Apple support can likely get it for you.
If you use a daw that uses au format plugins and you have Plugin Alliance plugins then stay away from Sierra as well. Just got an email from them and in their testing they're finding serious issues with their plugins and Sierra. Not everyone uses PT only.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If everything is working well, and you plan to stay on 11, I wouldn't do a thing.
I agree with this %100!
There is NO need to EVER upgrade if everything you're doing and needing is working fine.
And if you do, make sure you back your main HD to another drive, i.e. Time machine, etc

I just upgrade to 10.10.5 from 10.8.5 and kind of regret it. The only reason I did so (since everything was working fine on pt11.3.1. and 10.8.5 for years) is on my Waves Mercury, there was a ton of plugs that would only work on 10.10. However I did notice now that when I start my computer it takes way longer to boot. First time ever, I now see this hour glass crawling across the screen. Along with a few other minor annoyances.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 10-10-2016, 02:52 AM

I had Yosemite and PT 11.3.1 on my laptop. Upgraded to Sierra. For sake of experiment tried to run PT and it works fine! Really surprised by that. I thought you can't even run PT11 on El Captain.

I suppose you can run it but you can't install it.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Exclamation Re: PT 11 and OSX version confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranor View Post
I thought you can't even run PT11 on El Captain.
You can run PT11 on El Capitan, though it is untested/unqualified by Avid. Just because you can run PT11 on El Capitan does not mean you should run PT11 on El Capitan. There are a few known issues with running PT11 on El Capitan, such as the I can only import audio via drag-and-drop bug. None of these PT11 on El Capitan issues will ever be fixed by Avid.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
You can run PT11 on El Capitan, though it is untested/unqualified by Avid. Just because you can run PT11 on El Capitan does not mean you should run PT11 on El Capitan. There are a few known issues with running PT11 on El Capitan, such as the I can only import audio via drag-and-drop bug. None of these PT11 on El Capitan issues will ever be fixed by Avid.
Just an update on this.. After tempting fate and upgrading to Sierra, I now get an error (that actually bricks PT and have to force quit) when trying to drag and drop audio. So, I can't import audio at all anymore

Just an FYI, heres the error I got:

Code:
Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/151228/ProTools/NewFileLibs/AFnd/MacBuild/../Stems/AFnd_StemFormat.cpp", line 451.

Now to downgrade!