Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Windows 7(Something to think about?)

First and foremost I know that the main issue on the boards right now is PT8 and getting everything to work. So I wanted to sidetrack a little.

We all know that Microsoft announced Windows 7 at PDC 08 and that beta version have been leaked to the net where computer geeks and nerds a like are testing its ability.

So far people have bragged about Windows 7 having a much smaller boot up time and that it takes less ram to operate. People are putting the beta version through real world situations such as: moving small and large amounts of data, device compatibility, and game support. Some other tests that people would love to see seems to be third party app support, which seems that it wouldn't cause a problem.

For those who don't know already. Windows 7 is build off of Vista's architecture(EXCEPT BETTER). When people heard that the first time they started turning away until the illegal beta proved otherwise. Windows 7 seems to be living up to it's promise so far, but only time will tell. Like most products the beta will be the find the bugs version and the final copy should be a ok minus tiny hits a misses. Logically speaking, if the beta is this good then the final should be greater.

NOW ON TO MY PRO TOOLS REFERENCE TO ALL THIS(LOL)

Pro Tools now has official support for Vista and since Windows 7 is built off of it then it seems to be that there will not be many problems except the ones we have now for upgrading.(Lets Pray) Also, with Windows 7 becoming lighter on your hardware than Vista we can see increased performance.

SO WHATS YOUR SAY, OPINIONS, OR EXPECTATIONS WITH THE NEW OS?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe24 View Post
...Windows 7 is build off of Vista's architecture(EXCEPT BETTER).
Not exactly true. It's a mistake to even compare it with Vista because it doesnt. Windows 7 is built off the original Blackcomb kernel, which the Lonhorn kernal used some of it's features and got ripped out of Vista before the release. It was replaced with the Server 2003 kernal. A big mistake. The Blackcomb kernal has been in development for years and it's what will make Vista 7 a damn good release.

The original Vista UI etc was writen with the Lonhorn kernel and was never intended for the Server 2003 kernal which replaced Longhorn at the end of the beta cycle unfortunately. Our local resident MattP was a very active Vista beta tester and huge advocate of it when it had the Longhorn kernal. You dont wanna know what he said when they threw him a beta with the Longhorn kernel replaced by the Server 2003 kernal. I heard lots of new and colorful language I never heard from MattP before.

Windows 7 returns to the original Blackcomb Kernal it was originally written for and it will kick some serious *****.

Quote:
SO WHATS YOUR SAY, OPINIONS, OR EXPECTATIONS WITH THE NEW OS?
Windows 7 will be a good release since they put the damn thing back together the way it was intended originaly.

Vista = ME and I'm glad it's 3 year short life is coming to a quick end.

The only thing in common with Windows 7 and Vista will be the UI look, which was originally developed for the Longhorn Kernel so dont let that fool you that it's an "improved" Vista because it's not. It's beyond Vista and put back together the way it was suppose to be.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Thanks for correcting me.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 PM

I have high hopes for Windows 7 also. I'm also hoping its 64bit only, uses a kernel with a emphasis on efficiency and smaller memory footprint. it would also be nice to see it ship with only one or two versions. I.E. Enterprise and Home Ultimate.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I have high hopes for Windows 7 also. I'm also hoping its 64bit only...
Unfortunately no. It will be 32bit and 64bit. But, Microsoft did announce that it will be their last 32bit O.S. they'll release. What ever comes after Windows 7 will be 64bit only. So, Digidesign has many years of advance warning here. Hopefully they'll take advantage of this early warning.

Quote:
it would also be nice to see it ship with only one or two versions. I.E. Enterprise and Home Ultimate.
Let's hope for only 2 this next round. The 32bit version and the 64bit version. Nothing more.

The public beta of it should be out this month.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-02-2009, 11:12 PM

it shoud be noted that microsoft has said all software and all hardware drivers compatible with vista will be compatible with windows 7.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy2520 View Post
it shoud be noted that microsoft has said all software and all hardware drivers compatible with vista will be compatible with windows 7.
Yeah... But they originally said that about XP to Vista (32 bit) too...

Seriously though, I do believe that Windows 7 will become what Vista (or Longhorn) was originally intended to be... We can only hope!
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe24 View Post
...Also, with Windows 7 becoming lighter on your hardware than Vista we can see increased performance...
Definitely! The memory foot print has been greatly reduced from 1.5G in Vista....to 700mb in Windows 7!!

The large memory footprint in Vista is why it sucks so bad on PT and gives us the huge performance decrease over XP.

I'll be anxious to try Windows 7 with Pro Tools Native.

Shane

Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy2520 View Post
...and the "legal" public beta will be out this month. So, we'll just have to see if PT fires up.

MattP, where are you to chime in?

Shane

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskin View Post
Yeah... But they originally said that about XP to Vista (32 bit) too...

Seriously though, I do believe that Windows 7 will become what Vista (or Longhorn) was originally intended to be... We can only hope!
Most of the original drivers did work in the early Vista beta cycle but when the idiots ripped out the Longhorn kernel, all hell broke loose.

I'm glad to hear they put it back together with Blackcomb. That kernal was the original and has been in development for years.

Goodbye and good riddance Vista...you just weren't quite there for native DAWs...especially Pro Tools. I'm looking forward to Win 7.

Shane