Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Default High Sierra and Pro Tools Upgrade

I hope this is not taboo. I looked over the guidelines and doesn't seem like it would be. I am a Mac owner and registered as such and all OS updates are free.

I want to upgrade. Discovering 3rd party plug-ins are starting to not be compatible with with my current OS Yosemite 10.10.2 or 5 or that matter. I have 10.10.2 with Pro Tools 11.3.1.

Problem is, Pro Tools shows the latest approved OS in High Sierra 10.13.2. However the only OS upgrade I can get is 10.13.5. I found an upgrade bundle on Apple's site for 10.13.2, but I have to have High Sierra already on my machine to use that. So I was told to chance it with 10.13.5, wait till it's approved or see if I can find a friend that saved their original 10.13.0 install and send me a copy of that and then I can use that 10.13.2 update.

So I know there are a lot of Mac users here.. Is there anyone that can spare me a copy of High Sierra 10.13.0?

If that's taboo to ask, I apologize. I figure I am a Mac owner, updates are free so I'm not asking for anything illegal that I can think of..

Mods feel free to delete this if it's not cool..
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Re: High Sierra and Pro Tools Upgrade

If you google the os x version you want you can find the link on Apple's site. They just don't put it on any of the main pages. I have found older OS x versions like this. Get the full installer and not updates.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Yep, was able to get my hands on a 10.13.1 and then used the 10.13.2 updater from Apple's website...
Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdster75 View Post
Yep, was able to get my hands on a 10.13.1 and then used the 10.13.2 updater from Apple's website...
Just curious if you don't mind me asking.. I spent a lot of time talking to Apple about getting a version prior to 10.13.6 as well as various OEM retailers of second hand macs.. and the only person that finally helped me was a kind soul at cubase forums...

Did you actually find one at the apple site itself?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Just curious if you don't mind me asking.. I spent a lot of time talking to Apple about getting a version prior to 10.13.6 as well as various OEM retailers of second hand macs.. and the only person that finally helped me was a kind soul at cubase forums...

Apple still provides all UPDATERS, both combo and delta updaters, for at least High Sierra (and I do believe older versions too such as Sierra, El Captian etc, I can see these pages exist but never actual tried to download the file to verify it works). So this means you can find these updaters for versions 10.13.1 through 10.13.6 on the Apple support pages.

However a FULL INSTALLER will only be available for the latest release from Apple. And this is where problems set in because you cannot use a combo or delta updater to DOWNGRADE to a previous OS version. So without official access to previous versions of full installers it is possible to paint yourself into a corner

So if that poster just got his hands on 10.13.1 full installer, they sure did not do it through Apple. I had to do a similar thing and downloaded a full installer of 10.13. There are downloads out there, but be cautious because they are files uploaded by god knows who...as in...not anyone officially connected to Apple

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
Apple still provides all UPDATERS, both combo and delta updaters, for at least High Sierra (and I do believe older versions too such as Sierra, El Captian etc, I can see these pages exist but never actual tried to download the file to verify it works). So this means you can find these updaters for versions 10.13.1 through 10.13.6 on the Apple support pages.

However a FULL INSTALLER will only be available for the latest release from Apple. And this is where problems set in because you cannot use a combo or delta updater to DOWNGRADE to a previous OS version. So without official access to previous versions of full installers it is possible to paint yourself into a corner

So if that poster just got his hands on 10.13.1 full installer, they sure did not do it through Apple. I had to do a similar thing and downloaded a full installer of 10.13. There are downloads out there, but be cautious because they are files uploaded by god knows who...as in...not anyone officially connected to Apple
This is what I thought..

It's extremely silly, since certain software needs older versions.. and people who buy a mac today are forced with 10.13.6.. it's these sort of shenanigans that annoy me regarding apple. But at least they don't force updates on existing comps, so there's that.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

TNM, I am so sorry I am just now seeing this!

Back on August 28th, I was just a few weeks removed from major knee surgery. I am just now getting back into the swing of things.

I have a friend who is a big time Mac user. As a matter of fact I met him working at Apple’s production line in Elk Grove, California back in 1998. He keeps all his OS updates just in case, so I got the file from him.

So now I do the same and save all the updates whether I use them or not. Ya never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 11:56 PM

I don’t think that Pro Tools 11 has a good compatibility on High Sierra. Or you will upgrade Pro Tools to the latest version.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Did you do the update?
I'm on the same boat, or very similar.
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4
ProTools 11.3.1

Wondering if High Sierra is stable to run this version of PT?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurfer26 View Post
Did you do the update?

I'm on the same boat, or very similar.

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

ProTools 11.3.1

Wondering if High Sierra is stable to run this version of PT?

Pro Tools 11 will not run an anything past Yosemite..

I ended up upgrading to PT 2018.4 and High Sierra 10.13.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk