Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 10:24 PM

Default HELP - PT getting slower the longer its open!

Hey all!
I noticed a very strange thing the last few days: the longer PT is open, the slower it reacts! If I hit any command, or even move the mouse over different areas, where the mouse changes, or whatever I do, after an hour or so it takes up to 5 seconds until PT does what it should! normally it does all things instantly. Other programs react not in this manner. My system is clean and set to all PT references, I reformatted it this evening to see if it still applies - and it does. I have a Shuttle X PC 1,8 GHz, 1,5 GHz RAM, 7200 internal and FW drive. PT 6.7cs4. Only PT is installed - no other progs!!! Hardware is 002r.
I can´t understand why it does so! If anyone´s got an idea, I´ll be (as always) very thankful.

Cheers, Andi

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 01-02-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: HELP - PT getting slower the longer its open!

If you've got 1.5G of ram... try disabling your windows system Page file for your OS drive, and see if that helps.... let us know.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
If you've got 1.5G of ram... try disabling your windows system Page file for your OS drive, and see if that helps.... let us know.
OK, thanks for this idea - but how do I do it??

I just noticed - the effect is just within a file! If I open a different file, it´s OK, until some time passes! If I close a file, that has the effect, save it and open it again, the effect is gone. I save very often, almost after every step I do. So this cannot be it. This is very strange...

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 PM

Are you using a d-verb in your session out of curiosity ??? is your X-PC a Pentium 4 ??? are you viewing your "System Usage" window from the "Windows menu" in Pro-Tools ???

To shut off your page file you go to control pannel <--- System <--Advanced tab <--Performance -- Settings Button <---Advanced tab <--click on the CHANGE button under Virtual Memory.

Select the radio button NO Paging File with your C drive highlighted in the top window.

Hit the SET Button.

"OK" and "APPLY" out of all your dialogs, and re-boot your system.

If this doesn't help... to turn it back on, just walk through all those steps again, and select the "System Manages Size" with your C drive Highlighted, and hit SET, and apply and ok your way out of all dialogs again.

Let me know about the P4 / D-Verb / System Usage window thing.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM

You might try disabling your power saving settings. Either in the control panel, or better yet in the bios.

http://www.badrap.org