Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Default Best Way to Move Pro Tools Native HD System from Cheesegrater to New 2019 Mac Pro

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2019 Mac Pro, 12 Core, 96 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD for system and apps and 2 TB RAID 0 Accelsior SSD for my projects along with a PT upgrade form PT 11 to 2020 Ultimate. MY current PT system is a 4,1 Mac Pro running PT 11.3.2 with a Native HD card, Omni HD I/O, a UAD Quad PCIe card and plugs along with a load of other plugs and software.

I'd appreciate advice on the best way to transition my whole system over to the new Mac Pro. I have Carbon Copy Cloner and have read here in the past that some just clone their drives over to new machines and re-enter any passwords and logins that are needed. Is that still ok to do or is there a better way?

Also, Should I first download and install PT 2020 on the new Mac Pro and then install my HD Native card afterwards or install the card first before PT?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JoeM
Old 05-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Best Way to Move Pro Tools Native HD System from Cheesegrater to New 2019 Mac Pro

My method would be to install everything fresh(don't load old stuff into a new computer). Then install Pro Tools and the HD driver. Then shut down, install the HDN card and reboot>test. I know installing everything is way more work than migrating, but its going to net you a much smoother system(my opinion).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Best Way to Move Pro Tools Native HD System from Cheesegrater to New 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My method would be to install everything fresh(don't load old stuff into a new computer). Then install Pro Tools and the HD driver. Then shut down, install the HDN card and reboot>test. I know installing everything is way more work than migrating, but its going to net you a much smoother system(my opinion).
So if I clean install, I imagine the order would be:

1. iLoc, PT and HD driver - test
2. HDN card - test
3. UAD Quad PCIe card and plugs
4. Installers for IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Waves, iZotope, Plugin Alliance, etc.

Would that be correct?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
So if I clean install, I imagine the order would be:

1. iLoc, PT and HD driver - test
2. HDN card - test
3. UAD Quad PCIe card and plugs
4. Installers for IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Waves, iZotope, Plugin Alliance, etc.

Would that be correct?
I think your 1 & 2 could be done together, but yes, that's how I would do it(I would also save a drive image after each step)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I think your 1 & 2 could be done together, but yes, that's how I would do it(I would also save a drive image after each step)
I'm in the process of finishing up a project on the cheese grater so I planned to leave the card in till done but at least I can get started with installing PT 2020 on the new Mac. That's a great idea about creating a disk image after each step, thanks!

PT 2021.3.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 05-04-2020, 12:35 PM

Congrats on your new BEAST! I literally spent the last couple of days doing the same thing. I went from a 12-core 5,1 to an 8-core 7,1. The performance already is over 50% more at least. I agree, do clean installs. Hopefully you have newer Waves versions otherwise you may run into installation issues. There are some "tricks" to allow installation on Catalina, though. Everything else will benefit from clean installs especially due to Catalina.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM

I believe that the PT installation notes specify that the HD card be installed before installing the software, but I don't think it makes a difference in the end. Read the PT software Installation instructions / notes pdf before installing either to make sure everything is done correctly.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Congrats on your new BEAST! I literally spent the last couple of days doing the same thing. I went from a 12-core 5,1 to an 8-core 7,1. The performance already is over 50% more at least. I agree, do clean installs. Hopefully you have newer Waves versions otherwise you may run into installation issues. There are some "tricks" to allow installation on Catalina, though. Everything else will benefit from clean installs especially due to Catalina.
Thanks, likewise congrats on your new baby! They are pretty impressive Macs. I don’t have a lot of Waves plugs, just a couple of the Abbey Road plugs at V10 and the H Delay at V9. I can upgrade them for $51. which I guess I’ll need to do.

PT 2021.3.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 05-04-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
I believe that the PT installation notes specify that the HD card be installed before installing the software, but I don't think it makes a difference in the end. Read the PT software Installation instructions / notes pdf before installing either to make sure everything is done correctly.
Thanks, I thought that was how I originally did it when I first bought it but I read a number of posts here where guys where installing PT first and then added the card so I figured I’d try that since the card will be tied up in my cheesegrater for a week or so more. As of now PT itself is working fine. I read the Read me first and What’s new docs but didn’t read the install info. I’ll do so now.