Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-22-2021, 11:15 AM

Default Sharing Pro Tools audio over Zoom on Windows

Hello,

I'm currently a music student having to take music class virtually. Oftentimes, this requires me to share my screen so that my instructor can see my ProTools project. Ideally, I'd like him to be able to hear my project without me having to bounce an mp3 and send it to him. My instructor uses a mac and he has no problem sharing screen and audio through ProTools, but for a PC I can't find any solutions. I obviously have been using the share sound button before sharing my screen. I only have two ASIOs, ASIO4ALL and ASIO Helix (my interface). ProTools won't play audio through ASIO4ALL even if I'm not in Zoom. I wonder if there is a way to loopback audio through the Helix.

Does anyone have some good resources for how to share Protools audio over Zoom?

Sam R.

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i7-1065G7, 1.30 GHz
12.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2020.12
Old 01-22-2021, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Sharing ProTools audio over Zoom on Windows

Voicemeeter has virtual audio cables that can accomplish what you want to do.

Another alternative is an interface with Loopback.

Personally, while I have Loopback capability with TotalMix from RME (I have a UFX), I went with physical cabling:

Onboard soundcard mini stereo out to ¼ jacks into Input 3/4 and a PT stereo track with Input 3/4, set to Input.

Mic comes in to Input 1 and Mono track in PT with Input 1.

Pre Fader Send from the PT track with the mic signal and any other track I want to send to my browser (Zoom is a browser based two way audio app) going to Output 5 and to Output 5 on my interface.

¼ jack cable from output 5 on my Interface to Line In on my onboard soundcard.

In Control Panel>Sound>Recording Tab the Line In is designated as Default (there are some other settings, too detailed for this).

My browser, Microsoft's Edge Chromium, uses the onboard soundcard and all monitoring is done through Pro Tools.

The great thing is, no matter how you accomplish the signal routing from and to your browser into and out of Pro Tools, that routing is good for any of the browser based two way audio apps, like Zoom, Zencastr, Skype, Source-Connect Now or Cleanfeed to name a few. Just make a Template in Pro Tools with the routing done there and you're good to go.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-24-2022, 09:20 AM

Is it possible to have a Picture diagram of this?

This would be very useful @The Weed

Thanks in Advanced :)

JT
Old 01-24-2022, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Sharing Pro Tools audio over Zoom on Windows

AudioMovers Listento plug in works great. It can be rented too, $9 a year according to the site.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-24-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is it possible to have a Picture diagram of this?

This would be very useful @The Weed

Thanks in Advanced :)

JT
You've got email.
SonoBus
Old 01-24-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
...¼ jack cable from output 5 on my Interface to Line In on my onboard soundcard...
Onboard soundcard? The motherboard line-in? Is stereo Pro Tools out to Zoom possible? Thnx!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-24-2022, 07:35 PM

I've found 2 solutions for this.

1) Install the free Image Line Fruity Loops Demo. The app can be uninstalled separately from the free ASIO driver inside the Windows' "Add Remove programs" menu.

2) Buy and install Cubase

After doing either of those, inside the Pro Tools Playback Engine Settings, choose either "FL Studio ASIO" or "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver" for the engine. When using these settings, you can only use two inputs and two outputs. Even though I have 24 ins/outs, can't use them all while using this driver.

After switching to one of those drivers, doesn't matter which app you start first. I launch Zoom, then PT, then from inside Zoom, share screen and be 110% sure to click the "Share Computer Audio" checkbox. Now go back to PT and make sure your callers can hear playback.
Attached Images
File Type: png Playback Engine.png (47.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Onboard soundcard? The motherboard line-in? Is stereo Pro Tools out to Zoom possible? Thnx!
I'm not sure if it is or not. What I can tell you is that I'm sending a mono signal to a 3.5 jack into my onboard soundcard. But, in Control Panel>Sound>Recording Tab, it shows a Left And Right Balance under Properties>Level>Balance. Whether using two mono cables and sending a left/right signal to a stereo 3.5 mini jack into the Line In on the onboard soundcard would result in a true stereo signal going to a browser app OR using a stereo Send out of Pro Tools to a pair of Outputs on an interface and Looping back that signal to a pair of Inputs and setting those Inputs as the source in the Recording Tab would result in a true stereo signal going out through the app, I can't say.

Of course, the interface's driver would have to be multi-client. And the browser app at your end and the other end would have to be able to send and receive a true stereo signal. That signal would also have to be of high quality and most browser apps aren't known for their high quality audio. Personally, when I'm being directed via browser app, it's not "mission critical" audio, but only so the remote producer can hear and direct my read, so no need to worry about stereo. I'll be sending a high quality, usually 24/48 Wave file to the client when the session is over.

Have a look at Sonobus.net. It's a multi-platform (Mac, Windows and Linux), high quality audio sharing app similar to Source-Connect and it's free. It may do everything you want a browser app to do and much more.
SonoBus
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 AM

I prefer to use an audio interface with Loopback built-in, but if your audio interface does not have Loopback, I would go with the old-school method already mentioned.

Simply run a dual 1/4" to stereo 1/8" cable FROM the Helix main outputs TO the 1/8" input on your computer.

Your instructor is probably using the app Loopback or perhaps Soundflower or Blackhole, because you can't do this directly on Mac either.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I prefer to use an audio interface with Loopback built-in...
Can you explain how to set this up with loopback (or perhaps link to a help page or tutorial)? I have a Focusrite LS56 with loopback, but I'm a loopback newbie Thanks!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume