Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Multiple audio interfaces?

Will I be able to concurrently use multiple dissimilar audio interfaces with PT9? Specifically, I own both a 002 and and Apogee Rosetta 800. Assuming I get an X-Firewire card for the latter, will I be able to get audio in and out to both units at once?

Right now I am limited to 48k with the Rosetta due to the fact that it must connect via lightpipe. Theoretically the X-Firewire card will allow 8 channels of 96kHz I/O with PT9. But I'd like to continue using the monitoring features of the 002, plus the faders, at the same time.

I am just back from the AES convention where I asked this question at the Avid booth. Got an answer in the affirmative, but frankly, the Avid rep seemed a bit confused about it, and I am not convinced he knew the answer. He ended up saying, "Uh... YEAH! That should work! I think so!"

The Apogee rep certainly didn't know... in fact, he suggested I get the X-Symphony card, which would require purchasing a Symphony PCIe card as well (and cost twice as much)....
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Multiple audio interfaces?

Core Audio only uses one interface throughput at a time. The Symphony rig is a throughput for multiple interfaces.... so using the 002 and the Rosetta simultaneously is a no go. ymmv
Old 11-07-2010, 12:37 AM

in which case... seems like i could take the stereo mix out of 2 channels of the rosetta and feed it into the 002 in standalone mode... not elegant, but workable, yes? this allows me monitor level set, external monitor input. then i'd need to switch over to the 002 when i want to use the faders... just thinking out loud here. not very elegant. anything i'm missing?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
Core Audio only uses one interface throughput at a time. The Symphony rig is a throughput for multiple interfaces.... so using the 002 and the Rosetta simultaneously is a no go. ymmv
On a mac: Use Core Audio to create a composite device

On windows: Install ASIO4All and select multiple audio interfaces, essentially creating a composite device
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe37 View Post

can you explain how this would be done?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe37 View Post

On windows: Install ASIO4All and select multiple audio interfaces, essentially creating a composite device
I just learned this tonight through the aggregated i/o option.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob turner View Post
can you explain how this would be done?
This video by Russ Hughes might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXMZwJEKdc

Richard