Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Considering a Saffire 56. Opinions wanted

Hey Folks, now that we have had some time for things to settle in, and Focusrite has delivered their plugin for monitoring, is this a contender, or not? Specifically, how is the plugin monitoring working(will I miss the LLM feature of my 003, or is it all moot when working at a 64 buffer)? Much as I like my 003, as a controller, it takes regular vacations from operation(thankfully, the transport buttons always work). Yesterday, I worked several sessions for several hours and the scribble strip stayed dark, and the faders never moved. Today, all worked fine. Operation with PT8(and back to 7.3) was always perfect, but I am not going to give up PT9 and I can get transport buttons on a Presonus Faderport(which I already own). Has anyone done a side by side sonic comparison? Are there issues I need to be aware of? Can I stuff in another 16 inputs with the 2 lightpipe ports? Inquiring minds want to know

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Considering a Saffire 56. Opinions wanted

I was checking that out yesterday, looks very nice. But wouldnt you run into the same problems with latency using the software it comes with? As in we are missing software monitoring on/off option? I really like how may options you would have with that thing. Scared to even know the list price.....

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Should of read up a little more. This looks like a really nice choice! And its under a grand!!!

Focusrite are proud to announce that Saffire audio interfaces are now the best choice for the world's leading audio recording software, Pro Tools 9. Whatʼs more, to combine the functionality of Saffire Pro interfaces with the worldʼs most popular DAW, Focusrite have launched RTAS MixControl, a plug-in that provides comprehensive control over the Firewire-powered Saffireʼs onboard DSP mixer within the Pro Tools environment.

Along with flexible routing control, RTAS MixControl will enable Pro Tools users to blend the monitor mix between channel input and DAW output signals during tracking, so performers can benefit from true zero-latency monitoring.

Focusrite's Saffire range comprises six best-in-class audio interfaces, including the compact but versatile Saffire 6 USB and the flagship Liquid Saffire 56. Each one is now the perfect companion to Pro Tools. RTAS MixControl only operates in combination with the Firewire-enabled Saffire Pro range.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks, but I already know all the hype. I'm looking for some hands-on opinions

Old 05-06-2011, 09:48 AM

That was more for my overlooking the RTAS interface plugin to use the DSP router with 0 latency. This has been out for a couple years. Only heard about it from another thread. The price seems to good to live up to the "hype" would like to hear from any one that uses this with PT9 also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Thanks, but I already know all the hype. I'm looking for some hands-on opinions

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM

I helped a friend of mine set 1 up & I must say it is sweet!!! Sounds much better than stock Digi racks.. latency didn't seem to be any issue whatsoever.. if I hadn't invested so much into my rack i'd get 1 in a 'fruit snack' especially being that its only 1buck on'eim!!! He also has the Liquid mix too.. & those liquid pres are pretty farkin amazing too!.. u really get a lot for the little $ u spend for it...

Sent from EPIC 4G using Tapatalk On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Man, I will take your word on that, So did I just miss this? All of that for under a grand, and you are saying the liquid pres are that good.... I am getting mad at my Apogee Mini Me at the moment, but at the time for me it was the best option. I sill love the sound of Apogee, plus a much better clock to boot. It has served me well. But man that Saffire 56 is looking sweet! I just can't believe there has not been more noise about this thing. Thats a lot for under a grand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
I helped a friend of mine set 1 up & I must say it is sweet!!! Sounds much better than stock Digi racks.. latency didn't seem to be any issue whatsoever.. if I hadn't invested so much into my rack i'd get 1 in a 'fruit snack' especially being that its only 1buck on'eim!!! He also has the Liquid mix too.. & those liquid pres are pretty farkin amazing too!.. u really get a lot for the little $ u spend for it...

Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 PM

I say its wayyyyyy priced... The Manley slam pre on there got me tryna find a coupon for a real one... Its really unbelievable for da price...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 AM

Did a bit of research on those and came up with two red flags in my opinion. The first and most important: the line in goes through the pre. As in, if you're using an outboard pre, it goes through the onboard pre as well. Not straight to the converter. The other red flag but not nearly as bad is that there is an 11 sample delay in the pre due to digital signal processing used in the emulators.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_ View Post
Did a bit of research on those and came up with two red flags in my opinion. The first and most important: the line in goes through the pre. As in, if you're using an outboard pre, it goes through the onboard pre as well. Not straight to the converter. The other red flag but not nearly as bad is that there is an 11 sample delay in the pre due to digital signal processing used in the emulators.
Thanks for pointing those out. I think they won't be deal-breakers as my external preamps will come via lightpipe, and I doubt anybody can hear 11 samples while recording Anybody actually own and use one?