Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Default Preserve AVID MC mutes?

Hi,

has anyone found a way to preserve muted clips coming from AVID MC? AT least under PT11 clips that were muted on MC get dropped when transferred via AAF.

Would be great if PT turned them into muted PT-clips instead.

Does this work under 12?

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Preserve AVID MC mutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi,

has anyone found a way to preserve muted clips coming from AVID MC? AT least under PT11 clips that were muted on MC get dropped when transferred via AAF.

Would be great if PT turned them into muted PT-clips instead.

Does this work under 12?

Thanks!

Frank
We get sessions from MC via Interplay rather than as an AAF. The sessions I receive often have audio regions with the clip volume control pulled all the way down. The guy who sends me those sessions is away for a couple days so I can't check whether he's "muting" them or just pulling down a clip volume fader, but whatever he's doing, it's producing the result you're looking for. I don't know whether the results would be the same after an AAF transfer.

EDIT: PT|HD 11.3.1 under Mavericks
Old 05-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Getting embedded AAFs from MC to PT 12.7 all the time. Muted regions appear as muted regions.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM

As far as I know, muted clips only transfer correctly when some (other) part of that clip is present unmuted somewhere in the timeline. Otherwise is discarded as a whole.
I ask editors not to use this function (or convert to clip gain before exporting).
Old 05-29-2017, 02:12 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Interesting fact about Interplay being able to preserve mutes (yes, I was talking about the MC's equivalent of command-M in PT. NOT minus infinity clip gain or key-frames) but not in AAFs.

We work around it by asking the editors to turn the clip-gain down but this is not ideal for dx-editors because the waveform disappears in PT and you have to reset clip-gain for those clips in order to hear them. But it's better than nothing.

Maybe AVID can make the mutes translate to PT as real mutes via AAF.

(can't use embedded AAFs as this workflow sucks for features with lots of turnovers and field recorder workflow)

@Farhoof: Is there a function to translate mutes to minus infinity clip-gain on MC?

Frank.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:29 PM

I don't think there is an automated conversion within MC, but then again I don't use the software so I'm not sure.

Personally, I always convert (or actually coalesce) the picture editors clip gain to volume automation, then switch to volume view and "cmd+m mute" all the clips that are muted (this is much easier to see when clip gain is coalesced). After that all volume automation is removed for a clean start, but I can still see what the editor intended to mute.
This will cost me a little effort at the start, but it pays back during editing.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
We get sessions from MC via Interplay rather than as an AAF. The sessions I receive often have audio regions with the clip volume control pulled all the way down. The guy who sends me those sessions is away for a couple days so I can't check whether he's "muting" them or just pulling down a clip volume fader, but whatever he's doing, it's producing the result you're looking for. I don't know whether the results would be the same after an AAF transfer.

EDIT: PT|HD 11.3.1 under Mavericks
I always thought Interplay actually uses AAF for Pro Tools, it just integrates them into the project management. Hence you can right click on a sequence in Interplay and "Export as AAF" with immediate results, no conversion or progress window.