Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Recommended MIDI interface

Just upgrading from a MIDIspot 2in2out to a 8x8 one. What is the most reliable and accurate unit out there? What is time stamping? has Pro Tools got the AMT support for the Emagic AMT 8 so I can benefit from the "hardware accurate timing"? Why is the Pro Tools Midi i/o nearly twice as much as the MOTU, MIDIMAN and Emagic versions (i know it has 10x10 but surely that cannot beef the price up so much?

Cheers
Old 12-02-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Recommended MIDI interface

[QUOTE]
Why is the Pro Tools Midi i/o nearly twice as much as the MOTU, MIDIMAN and Emagic versions (i know it has 10x10 but surely that cannot beef the price up so much?[QUOTE]

They know they are going to sell a ton of them because it matches "the look" of the entire HD line. And it has the Digidesign name. The Midi TimePiece (MOTU) is a great unit.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 12-02-2003, 10:22 AM

Not sure 100% about it, but "hardware accurate timing" is not implemented in a standard way in all Audio+Midi application. I think Steinberg has his own midi interface that support there version of midi timestamping, Emagic has his own midi interface that support there version of midi timestamping and Digidesign has the Midi I/O that support there version of timestamping.

So I think only the Midi I/O can support Protools midi timestamping.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm planning upgrading my serial MOTU midi interface to a new USB one.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:31 PM

So does anyone know if Pro Tools supports AMT technology. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it did.....Thanks to those who previously posted - very handy info!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:45 AM

Primafacie: Yes, I believe the Emagic AMT8 has been tested and is supported by Digi, but recommend that you double check Digi's Compatibility section to verify. As I understand it, as long as the MIDI interface complies with the standard OSX CoreMIDI timestamp specification, then you get MIDI timestamping capability in PT6.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys! So can anyone from digidesign please confirm if the current software will support any of the third party "time stamping" midi in outs (ie amt from emagic) or does it only support the digidesign time stamp from the digi MIDI InOut. I looked all over the site but to no avail. Thanks