Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Default Re: S3 "Studio" announced.

That would be the C\|24.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Presumably you are stuck using the Artist Transport control or are there sane standard transport buttons somewhere on this?
The strips 1|2|3|4 is presumably the transport function. Waiting on confirmation.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The strips 1|2|3|4 is presumably the transport function. Waiting on confirmation.
Well presumably you can map usual transport controls to that user definable touch strip. Which would do in a pinch but I wish they would do a transport add on with real buttons, real knob and counter display. The Artist transport is close but its transport buttons are just awful (IMNSHO). I can understand Avid needing to keep the same plastic for the S3L and S3 but would have liked an add-on transport control. And I'm just not getting the AVB interface and preamps is going to be any use to anybody. Might have been nice to have gutted that and reduced cost. OTOH I am guessing long term that Avid may seriously go AVB, and if so then begin able to (possibly) aggregate two extra compact channels/preamps in the control room might be more handy.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Alright from what I got, is that 1 the product is not launched yet it's an announcement, so there's the possibility of small changes being made until the official launch.

From what I saw, the SL product page has this on the Features section: "Touch strip provides easy access to transport controls; S3 can also be used alongside Artist Transport if you need full jog/shuttle wheel controls"

Wave-T.com
Old 10-10-2014, 07:08 PM

today i asked that question of tom graham and several others
who all remarked you would need an artist to flesh it out.
plus no ver coming without the mic pre's...
e
Old 10-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
today i asked that question of tom graham and several others
who all remarked you would need an artist to flesh it out.
plus no ver coming without the mic pre's...
e
I simply can't imagine what they were thinking putting any I/O for the purpose of recording on this other than other control room monitoring I/O.

How in the world did they envision a need for this on a $5000 controller?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 PM

exactly, and every one i asked to day had no good answer,
other than to say "but look what you get…"
and me replying, i'd rather have a pre roll switch, and a save button, and esc,
and navigation…
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM

I also just thought about this, I actually hope this thing takes off fast, I mean very freaking fast, because hopefully that will cause the prices of used C 24's to even go lower than their current going price of anywhere from 4200-4800.

I am still in absolute love with my pro control units, however I would love to upgrade to the C 24, so then I can make my transition to HD 11 and beyond.

Don't get me started, plus so many other people, who are still in absolute bewilderment over the fact that Avid intentionally broke the procontrol and control 24's that they were so happy to sell everyone back in the day.

Intentional being the keyword here. That fact, has to make everyone, or should make everyone, very cautious about purchasing any Avid controllers going forward. They should be taking the focus on adding features, that make new controllers compelling, that would make you want to purchase the new controllers versus finding ways to make controllers that you bought previously,
obsolete.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Skimming through the manual, only one S3 surface and a Transport are available per workstation. For those with existing HDX or HD Native engines, I don't think the pres or monitoring are available, as they are AVB, unless you can agreggate... Looks as though you'd at least need some sort of 3rd party talkback/monitor setup, especially if you're 5.1.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
How in the world did they envision a need for this on a $5000 controller?
Lots of people, myself included, have asked for affordable 16-fader control surface for years. No, the old ICONs were not the answer, way too expensive.

This one surely could have been $2500 but because it's the same desk as in complete S3L pack, they needed to price this accordingly. Just my guess anyway.

Now the big question is: how much would they ask for the S3 --> S3L upgrade if owners of studio desk some day want to go live