Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Does pro tools have a pitch bend effect?

I'm looking for a way to do the pitch bend effect (like in sound forge effects) where i can draw my own curves etc..
Old 11-24-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Does pro tools have a pitch bend effect?

I don't know sound forge.

do you want to pitch bend an audio file?

Digis Vari-Fi can speed up or slow down an audio file.
Serato's Pitch' Time will allow you to draw curves onto the audio file.
if it's just a musical type of pitch bend you want, perhaps you could load the section you want into a soft sampler and use a pitch bend from a midi keyboard?

i don't know if there are any free plugs to do this.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:14 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. This is a default in Sound forge. It's an effect I use to simulate breaking as well as powering down a turntable but staying within the duration of the bar. My oh my 700.00 is an awful lot for this feature. Does protools TCE allow you to draw any curves?
Again thank you so much for your response
Old 11-24-2005, 08:43 AM

Hey Dave, did you get any bundles with your protools purchase ie "producer" bundle?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:50 AM

Digi TCE doesn't allow any drawing.

You could always export that section to a sound forge file (stereo WAV perhaps?) , do the stop or curve draw, then import it back into the pro tools session.

not ideal, but workable.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM

hmm... you cna draw with auto-tune... but im nut sure if thats what your looking for.. you are probably looking for a harmonizer... but i've only found really rackmounts for that.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Hey Dave, did you get any bundles with your protools purchase ie "producer" bundle?
No I didn't. I got the Ignition pack bundle with my 002R.

Quote:
Digi TCE doesn't allow any drawing.

You could always export that section to a sound forge file (stereo WAV perhaps?) , do the stop or curve draw, then import it back into the pro tools session.

not ideal, but workable.
The Digi asio/wavedriver does not allow both sound forge and pro tools to be opened at the same time; sound forge will produce no sound or crash city. Tech support verified that you can only operate one app with the digi driver. Honestly; i'm surprised; so many people talk up the editing features of Pro Tools and so far it's slowed me down to a halt. I had no problems using 3 to 4 apps at once when I needed to go between programs with my regular asio driver (my non digi asio driver) The audio suite plugins don't help. PTLE 7 audiosuite crashes the serato pitch n time plug-in when previewing your drawn curve; and the waves SS plug does the same. You cannot use the preview feature within the plugin; but if you draw the curve and go to start point in edit window of PTLE 7 you can hear the result only after you process the audiosuite plug-in. This is time consuming and a retarded way to have to work. The editing features between sound forge and vegas with direct x plugins; run circles around EVERY other editor available on the pc. PTLE7 does not match in any way (as far as editing is concerned) and lags terribly behind sony vegas/sound forge. A friend of mine swears by pitch n time and waves SS (he uses ptle 6.7) I don't have the luxury of owning 6.7; my 002r came with only 6.9. 7.0 was an upgrade option I took. As far as editing is concerned; Digi loses big. Even the learning curve/ shortcuts aren't as intuitive. I'm not bashing; this is simply the truth. I've spent plenty of time in both commercial settings and now @ home for over a month with the editing features; the editing features in pro tools need a serious overhaul. Go to sony media website and download a full working 30 day no I-lok necessary demo of vegas and sound forge. Don't bother reading the pdf manuals; just use your basic MS word commands and you'll be editing in seconds. In fact alot of the same commands from soundtrack pro in the mac work exactly the same as the pc's vegas, acid, sound forge. Vegas BTW is addictive; once you edit on it you'll see why. I used Sequoia before vegas and never looked back. I'm right back to vegas for now. I'm really disappointed with the editing features of PTLE 6.9/7 as well as the issues with all the plug-ins. I didn't have to update anything with any of my other programs that rely on vst or dx efx/instrument plugs with the last 3 versions from each of the programs (acid, sound forge, vegas) not to mention Cubase or anything else.
There's absolutley NO excuse. Pro Tools is the only app that I have that just isn't up to snuff.
It's going up for sale real soon as my patience and hope for fixes has all but run out.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
... It's an effect I use to simulate breaking as well as powering down a turntable but staying within the duration of the bar.
Creating better tape stops and turnarounds.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-26-2005, 01:07 AM

Thx; I actually read up on that article when searching the forums. Interesting method; sound forge and a few other programs achieve this task quite easily with the free built in plug-ins.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM

I feel your frustration regarding this matter, as I do not have a 1000 dollars to dish out to complete a simple function that should be included in the industry leading DAW. Every other competitor, as you have already said, implements excellent functionality right out of the box.