Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
Nope. I've heard of a "thousand voice edition" of PT way before NAMM but as said, I've considered it a rumor and never given it much thought
Old 01-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
I still believe that Avid were working (and still are ofcourse) on the requests we made on Ideascale. But I think they just ran into serious issues implementing them with the current/old Playback Engine. So to flawlessly implement all the new feature requests (and more) they were probably forced to optimize/rewrite the Playback Engine first.

Is it disappointing we are not yet seeing ARA2 support, better EA algorithms, Folder tracks, Folders in the Clip list etc? Sure it is!! But on the other hand I'm kinda excited that they have rolled up their sleeves and dug into the Playback Engine to hopefully bring us a more stable Pro Tools with a modern Playback Engine. And consequently the possibility of rolling out the features we really want later this year.

I also think this whole paying for voice packs debate and AVID spending programming resources on the wrong and not requested features is futile. Higher voice count was most probably a welcome side-effect from the Playback Engine rewrite. So they turned that into a revenue maker for high end Pro Tools users and have them buy voice packs.

How many of us really create sessions with more than 256 tracks? I have no factual figures ofcourse but I'd be really surprised if it is higher than 10% and most of them run HDX at a large Post facility. The 32-track IO restriction for Vanilla Pro Tools though should go. I totally agree with that. That is just insane.

I really can't wait to get my hands on Pro Tools 2019 and experience the new workflow. After this release though Avid should finally deliver on the features that we really want. There will be no more excuses after that.
Voices and tracks are different things, particularly when running HDX. A single 7.1.2 track uses up 10 voices. The arrangement of native plugins will also use up extra voices, depending on how you do it. I think the last 5.1 mix session I had consisted of 88 tracks in the mix window, but used just under 200 voices. I will have a look when I’m next in front of my system, but for a pretty run of the mill 5.1 session you might have eight to ten cascaded busses/channels just for stems and masters. At 6 voices a track, it adds up pretty quickly.

I think there might be a greater reckoning to come when Avid release 2019. Avid are lining themselves up to fail with the voice packs. There is going to be a group of users who will be ticked off one way or another.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 01-29-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
A lot of the problem with the disgruntled customer base is down to one thing - Avid's continued absence on these boards. Occasionally people show up for a few days when there's a new version, or to help fix specific account issues. But in terms of ongoing development and direction - zip. Ideascale was ignored, this new Link app like the ACA seems to be a one way street of corporate propaganda.

Users need ongoing, regular dialogue. Avid is not absent on the video forum, but is in audio. Why?

That’s a very good question. I’d like to know the answer to that as well. The bad thing is, by the lack of there presence here it leaves a vacuum of speculation and uncertainty and misinformation. It just leaves others and some of the MOD’s here to try and fill in the blanks. Isn’t this there forum? They could really clarify many of the misconception that goes on here. It really would be nice to see a few representatives form Avid here every once an awhile or at least at new releases. It could make release’s like this go a lot more smoothly for us.

Last edited by zion; 01-29-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
If the actual playback engine is rewritten I'll be happy. But am scared at he same time it will actually be worse. So used to CPU errors and now that I'm actually stable will be afraid to change anything.
If they really fix the performance issues, I will renew my Ultimate plan, but I'm definitely waiting till the smoke clears.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM

It's interesting to see what happens when the enterprise software and consumer/small business worlds collide. Has there ever been a successful Consumer/Prosumer verses Enterprise pricing scheme here that hasn't been met with lots of anger?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Exactly.

Shutting your trap is how most things are solved. Never voice your opinion. Stay silent and things will improve.

One just needs to take a look at our history. Slavery being abolished, women being allowed to vote, gay marriage... All of these things happened because people shut their trap like ‘grown men’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely! My $400 is standing by in an envelope, and I have requested a physical address just in case Avid's web store still isn't working properly.

I really hope this revised audio engine includes provisions for HDX to run in some kind of hybrid mode. Kind of like how dual sample buffer native DAWs operate - Only stick the bits of the mix engine that need low latency monitoring into DSP, and let the rest hang out on the native system. Heck, let users assign the channels they want hosted on DSP. It would make HDX drastically more powerful, and it would also allow them to take advantage of the new voice packs.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
It really would be nice to see a few representatives form Avid here every once an awhile or at least at new releases. It could make release’s like this go a lot more smoothly for us.
I have lost count how many times I've hoped this as well, but I guess that will never happen because whatever Avid employee says here in writing is just as good as a release note. Therefore they can only speak up when every decision about the release is done.

Us mods are guessing just like every Tom, Dick and Harry.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I think there might be a greater reckoning to come when Avid release 2019. Avid are lining themselves up to fail with the voice packs. There is going to be a group of users who will be ticked off one way or another.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Surround mixing has always asked for greater voice counts and now that surround users are being served, stereo users are grumbling. If this wasn't going to happen, surround users would continue grumbling.

Let's just wait or the official release notes.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have lost count how many times I've hoped this as well, but I guess that will never happen because whatever Avid employee says here in writing is just as good as a release note. Therefore they can only speak up when every decision about the release is done.

Us mods are guessing just like every Tom, Dick and Harry.
perhaps we can go over to video land and post there some PT issues? would that stir them up
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
perhaps we can go over to video land and post there some PT issues? would that stir them up
I can't stop you, can I?