Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Default Re: How to improve performance of VI's in Pro Tools.

what if the VI content its already recorded and now I want to print it to an audio track? I am dying trying to print few stereo VIs already recorded into an stereo instrument track but there is no signal been sent to the audio track when I buss it. This is the patch that I am taking:

I have a VI stereo track already recorded with structure on it mainly outputted to my SPDF Monitors, I hear everything perfectly. Now I am bussing it to BUSS 1-2 and selected the input of the new stereo audio track to BUSS 1-2 and the output to my monitors, the problem that I notice is that VIs already recorded on instrument track are not bussing if you want to print it to an audio track.

If you buss it when recording it works perfectly but if you try to buss anything already recorded it does not work.

Does anyone else notice this?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Another question here...

Should one have a separate HD for each instance of each VI in addition to separate HD's for audio, sessions, and OS?

ex

VI 1 - HD 1
VI 2 - HD 2
Audio - HD 3
Sessions - HD 4
OS - HD 5
Video - HD 6
etc...

What about if the VI shares the same Library?

ex

running say 3 instances of EWQLSO, is it ok to load all three from the same HD/Library?

Thanks!!

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM

My iMac only has one firewire buss, if I dedicate a second HD for VI's and daisy chain my audio drive together with that, I'm assuming it will still cause the same lag, no?

Wish I had a second firewire buss on the iMac.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkayemn View Post

Of course there are many different and more complex ways to route signal paths. Hope this helps...

Tony
Wow, so 7 steps aren't complex enough?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 AM

Is it possible to connect an external firewire drive through the MBox 2 Pro firewire port? I mean, otherwise, why does it has 2 firewire ports?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Amauribr:
Yes, I was told by Sweetwater techs that you can plug in an external hard drive to the 2nd firewire port in the MBox 2 Pro.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Well, for the 003 the instruction manual specifically states not to use the 2nd port to connect a hard drive. That's not what it's for. It's mainly there as a pass through to connect other firewire devices like video cameras, etc. without having to unplug the 003.

I would assume the Mbox 2 pro is the same way.

If you have the Mbox 2 pro and want to hook up a hard drive for audio, you need to daisy chain: firewire 800 to 400 cable from computer to a hard drive with 2 firewire 400 ports, then a 400 cable to the mbox 2 pro.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM

I just went through the following optimizations that a pro tools person reccommended for me to go through to tweak XP to behave as efficient and fast as possible for music production with pro tools software.

http://tarekith.com/assets/XPTweaks.htm.

To that person I say thanks! They are huge in improving my machine for the best use with pro tools!

But now I am trying to install Pinnacle studio on my machine for video editing and it does not want to because it says that "the installer has detected that Microsoft windows installer 4.5 and Microsoft .Net is not on my computer Would you like to update the components now?" So can anyone please tell me if any of those windows XP optimizations on the optimization page are tricking the installer Pinnacle studio 14 into believing these components are not there (when they maybe just could be turned off?) I am afraid to hit the update button.

and unfortunately i have to stay on service pack 2 but are those components only service pack 3 components? I am not risking going to service pack 3 after what happened to my machine last time. And especially now after those optimizations.

Thanks and please help.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincol1 View Post
Should one have a separate HD for each instance of each VI in addition to separate HD's for audio, sessions, and OS?
You will be fine with a set up that is one drive for each type of process.

1. OS (apps/plug ins)
2. Audio
3. Sample Library (plug in content/samples)
4. Video

then of course. . . a Backup dive or 4 to back all that up.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven12u View Post
Amauribr:
Yes, I was told by Sweetwater techs that you can plug in an external hard drive to the 2nd firewire port in the MBox 2 Pro.
You CAN but you shouldn't. Another example of poor advice from a Sweetwater rep looking only to sell you a product today, not looking to "earn" a loyal customer.