Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Oh, the shame

After seeing all the talk about Reaper I decided to check it out.
Reaper not only has PDU (ADC) to PT but page 87 of the user guide shows external hardware automatic delay detection and compensation.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Oh, the shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
...user guide shows external hardware automatic delay detection and compensation.
...even a ping for your hardware, something HD doesn't even have. These days even a multi track iPhone app has ADC. We're way past the point of shame and embarrassment if you ask me, especially passing the first decade of this top feature request. 10.5 years and counting.

As a side note, I'm in the middle of setting up a template for those who want to "sandbox" there VI's using REAPER via ReWire into Pro Tools. Keeping the template bare bones with out going overboard is the hard part.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
...even a ping for your hardware, something HD doesn't even have. These days even a multi track iPhone app has ADC. We're way past the point of shame and embarrassment if you ask me, especially passing the first decade of this top feature request. 10.5 years and counting.
+1
Quote:
As a side note, I'm in the middle of setting up a template for those who want to "sandbox" there VI's using REAPER via ReWire into Pro Tools. Keeping the template bare bones with out going overboard is the hard part.

Shane
This is important work Shane, and those of us following this are very appreciative.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

So Shan, you haven't kicked out the girlfriend after all? I thought I had detected a new commitment in you to the old ball and chain.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Ohhhhhh ! Another one saw the light !!!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
So Shan, you haven't kicked out the girlfriend after all? I thought I had detected a new commitment in you to the old ball and chain.
I still use PT. Reaper has a few more things I would personally need in the editing department, which I know will come at some point(and it wont take 10+ years!). It's my, "in case the Titanic hits the bottom" escape plan. I'm trapped in an air pocket for now. I still have my eye on that "younger girl friend" though. I know she's waiting with all that new fresh young code.

All humor aside, I do enjoy both apps. The recent direction of PT the past year and a half has definitely put me on alert with some doubt though, which never use to be the case.

As a side note Top Jimmy, it's nice to see you active sharing your knowledge with the users here in this part of the forum.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The recent direction of PT the past year and a half has definitely put me on alert with some doubt though, which never use to be the case.
I know exactly what you mean. Having been in the bureaucratic environment that exists in such an organization, I too can recognize the signs. Once feeding on the young begins, it's only a matter of time before extinction. I do believe PT can still be rejuvenated, but it'll take a serious visionary with the stones to do it.

Thanks for the attaboy. I take that as a high compliment from you. It's funny how taking just a few moments to type out a couple of lines can make my day feel like a success.

As an aside, are you associated with any of the people to have come out of LMSS?

James

_

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I do believe PT can still be rejuvenated, but it'll take a serious visionary with the stones to do it.
Same. Let's see what comes to being in 2010.

Quote:
As an aside, are you associated with any of the people to have come out of LMSS?

James
By the time I got my foot in the door of Little Mountain, it's hey day was over and it was nothing but a rehearsal studio. As far as where everyone went, I have done work in Fairbairn's Armoury, Adam's Warhouse, and many others. Little Mountain owned the 80's...then it all moved to "Seattle".

Shane

Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM

I've been fortunate enough to know and work with Bob Brooks for the past 10 years. Once you know the man, it's easy to understand how the conditions existed that allowed what happened to happen. He's one of the rare breed that doesn't put artificial limits on things.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM

hey guys.

im seriously considering going to the darkside. just wondering if i can customize reaper to operate close to PT?

EDIT: since im here. should i go for the 4gb to 8gb upgrade(ddr2 1066)? is it worth it? i just switched to 64 bit.