Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Default ReWire not appearing in inserts

Hello,

I am fairly new to using pro tools and I am currently trying to control VSts in REAPER from pro tools 12 via rewire. My issue is that I cannot get rewire (and thus reaper) to show up in my instrument inserts in pro tools. Most people say to delete the file installedaaxplugins and restart pro tools but I've done this multiple times and it still doesn't show. Weirdly, it does show up as an instrument in reaper, so I know that it is installed. If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 PM

Default Re: ReWire not appearing in inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej17 View Post
Hello,

I am fairly new to using pro tools and I am currently trying to control VSts in REAPER from pro tools 12 via rewire. My issue is that I cannot get rewire (and thus reaper) to show up in my instrument inserts in pro tools. Most people say to delete the file installedaaxplugins and restart pro tools but I've done this multiple times and it still doesn't show. Weirdly, it does show up as an instrument in reaper, so I know that it is installed. If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks.

Here's a video I did a long time ago explaining exactly how using Reaper via Rewire works. Hope this helps some.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 PM

I've actually seen this video before, it's really informative but unfortunately it doesn't address the issue I'm having. The video starts with reaper already as an insert, my issue is that reaper and rewire aren't even appearing in my virtual instrument list in pro tools
Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I've actually seen this video before, it's really informative but unfortunately it doesn't address the issue I'm having. The video starts with reaper already as an insert, my issue is that reaper and rewire aren't even appearing in my virtual instrument list in pro tools

Ah. Got it. You won't see "Rewire" in your instrument list in any case. You would only see "Reaper". "Rewire" is just a protocol that can be used by Pro Tools and Reaper to allow PT to be the master and Reaper in slave mode! Just to be sure, you need to open Pro Tools first and then only open Reaper on an Instrument track from within Pro Tools. If you open Reaper first, then Pro Tools, I don't believe you will see Reaper in your list. If you try to open Reaper outside of PT, then it won't work.

If you are doing it correctly and Reaper isn't showing up on your instrument list, then we'll need to dig a bit deeper. I'll have to go back and remind myself what the set up needs to be...its been a while.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM

One other thing to add. PT is fussy about the order of things. So for any Rewire application to work, you first open Pro Tools and your session, and THEN load the Rewire app you want to use...Reaper in your case.

The same is true when shutting down. FIRST save any set up in Reaper (or whatever Rewire app you're using), and close it. THEN close Pro Tools. If you try to close PT with a Rewire app still running, you'll get an alert window telling you that a Rewire app is running and it might freeze the system. So be sure you do things in the right order.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM

And finally there's this from the Reaper forum:

"I had trouble getting Reaper 5.40 to show up as a Rewire client in Pro Tools 12. The fix for me was to delete this file >> C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools\InstalledAAXPlugIns << When I re-opened Pro Tools "Reaper" was now in the list of instruments. Here's some additional tips for other Pro Tools users ..

*BEFORE YOU TRY AND REWIRE* - open Reaper in stand alone, and make sure you're able to see the vst plugins you'd like to have access to first. For me, Reaper very often crashes scanning plugins, so if you are doing this setup for the first time it's quite likely that you'll have to spend some time seeing what plugins make Reaper crash scanning plugins. I went into windows and removed (with .zip backup) VST3 plugins, I also added a custom path in Reaper to all my Native Instruments plugs. It took a few tries but I was able to quickly get Reaper scanning plugs well and opening just fine. Now you're ready to make Rewire work .... Open Pro Tools first , then open Reaper , you should see "Reaper" as an available instrument insert. If it doesn't show up see my fix above."

Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM

I've actually tried that solution a few times to no avail. ten minutes ago I uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools and all of a sudden REAPER appeared as an available insert. I have no idea what sort of magic caused that to happen, but it seems to work ok now. I appreciate your willingness to help though! Have a good one.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I've actually tried that solution a few times to no avail. ten minutes ago I uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools and all of a sudden REAPER appeared as an available insert. I have no idea what sort of magic caused that to happen, but it seems to work ok now. I appreciate your willingness to help though! Have a good one.

Glad to know its finally working for you. My suspicion is that somehow PT didn't pickup that Reaper was present on your system. Reinstalling PT probably fixed whatever file is needed for PT read the presence of potential Rewire clients.

Now....go make some great music!