Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 AM

Question RME FF800 to HD Native

Hi,
I am planning to buy HD Native+Omni.
Current setup is: FF800 and PC <Gigabyte Ex58-Extreme & i7 extreme 975 and 12 GB Ram, 3 WD HDD 7200, win 7 Ult x64>

My Questions:

1-If we are going to consider the HD native as 100% Sound quality then what is the % rate for FF800 compared to HD native?

2-Are the Stability / Latency always the same regardless the sample rate <44,48,96 or 192>?

3-Is it worthy this much of money?

Thanks
AK
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 AM

Default Re: RME FF800 to HD Native

any one?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM

As for sound quality, its totally a personal judgement. Only YOU can assign any % to what YOU hear. Latency will be slightly different for any given sample rate(higher sample rates usually net slightly lower latency). As for the Omni being worth the money(or not), again, a personal decision(but the reviews have been stellar). Back to latency, word from my local source and the Avid area rep, HD/Native with a buffer of 128 has LESS latency than any firewire interface at 64. This is due to the speed of the PCIe bus as compared to the firewire bus(which has an inherent 3ms latency by design, as it sends all the data twice, to make sure it all actually went). The Omni is a little pricey to me(for only 8 inputs), and I have read reports of loud fan noise. They are sometimes found used for just above $2K, which makes it a better value than full retail. There are other IO options(including a used 96
or 192 IO). I sure wish Avid had made the lightpipe input on the Omni to ork a full 8 channels, in addition to the analog inputs(I would buy it then in a heartbeat)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As for sound quality, its totally a personal judgement. Only YOU can assign any % to what YOU hear. Latency will be slightly different for any given sample rate(higher sample rates usually net slightly lower latency). As for the Omni being worth the money(or not), again, a personal decision(but the reviews have been stellar). Back to latency, word from my local source and the Avid area rep, HD/Native with a buffer of 128 has LESS latency than any firewire interface at 64. This is due to the speed of the PCIe bus as compared to the firewire bus(which has an inherent 3ms latency by design, as it sends all the data twice, to make sure it all actually went). The Omni is a little pricey to me(for only 8 inputs), and I have read reports of loud fan noise. They are sometimes found used for just above $2K, which makes it a better value than full retail. There are other IO options(including a used 96
or 192 IO). I sure wish Avid had made the lightpipe input on the Omni to ork a full 8 channels, in addition to the analog inputs(I would buy it then in a heartbeat)
Thank you albee1952 for your feedback...
I know that the sound Quality is personal judgment, that why I am asking here to see what Most People think ,ex: some might say 70% or 80% etc...

I have read in some forums that the Apogee Symphony sound better than HD but again this personal judgment.

What I am looking for here is some facts about it <advantages, disadvantages >, like what you mentioned about the Price and the loud fan noise...