Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Unhappy Pro Tools Track Input Monitoring???

I'm completely new to the PT world. Been using Cubase for years. Just bought PT 10 to get that extra mix out of my projects but having to keep using my Cubase 6 for this one issue...
When I open a new track in PT everything works fine (sound comes through and everything). However, as soon as I hit the "record enable" button I get a flanging sound coming through the mic now. At first I though it was my I/O but they work perfectly in Cubase so im lost. It seems like something called "Track Input Monitoring" is causing this but the button for that is inactive for some reason. How or what can I do to fix this??? I've mastered the heck out of Cubase and refuse to believe I paid $700 for PT to laugh at me lol.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Track Input Monitoring???

i feel your pain, i'm on my 3rd day switching over from logic, and i've already had a full bowl of issues transitioning, to the point i almost returned PT, but thanks to the clever peeps of this forum i was able to get through, and just tonight i saw the light and made a great mix..

anyways it sounds like you are hearing the direct monitoring from your soundcard which would explain the flanging, i think you're on the right track with disabling input monitoring but i can't help you more that, i'm sure a more experienced user will chip in..

PS: it does help if you state your sound card & system
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Sorry Inputed my info in my profile, thought it would tag it automatically
But im using a PC(HP Media Center,8G RAM, Dual core)
Pro Tools 10
Delta 44 Sound Card
Behringer SX32 Mixer
AKG C414 mic

Sux cause I feel like with the experience I have, I could flourish in PT. Sounds great and the new features are awesome... However cant get pass this one issue! desperate for assistance!!! plz
Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM

I hate to bring bad news to you but... you CAN NOT disable input monitoring in Pro Tools

There are work arounds and many have been listed here on the DUC

A quick search will get you going
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM

One work-around is to turn down the (red) fader when the track is record enabled. A setting in the preferences enables you to run with separate fader levels for recording and playback. It should be set to "separate".

A lot of users has been begging for years for a global "monitoring on/off" feature, but it's still missing.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Actually, here are a couple things to consider.

1. Your workflow may be such that you are listening to your audio through a mixer board or audio device for no latency tracking. Pro Tools isn't really designed to be used this way. It took me awhile when I switched to understand PT's workflow. You really should only be monitoring through Pro Tools. When punching in, you sing along with the track without hearing your own voice and then when you punch in, PT lets the audio from the input come through until you punch back out where it switches it back to the original take.

Now to do this effectively, you need to either have your hardware buffer size set low (like 128 or below). If your computer can handle this, then that is the best option. If your computer is choking at that low of a hardware buffer size, then you need to use Low Latency Monitoring Mode. This will disable plug-ins and sends and etc. on the track you are recording on. It will also mute any audio from passing through PTs as it will expect you to use another device or 3rd party software included with your interface for your monitoring.

2. Another great solution is to use MuteTone Its a free plug-in that will mute PT's input monitoring when recording. It works great. However, it is Mac only, but rumors are that a PC version will be coming out soon.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 PM

Man all this info is really helpful. Will try all these options in the morning. Really glad I signed up to this forum. Appreciate the responses!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 AM

HookSound: not seeing any seperate fader options in preferences... Would it be "link record and play faders"???
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Dizzi45Z: will try your first method shortly, but wouldnt running at a lower buffer practically eliminate previewing the projects ideal mix since the effects become inactive? You basically have to wait till everything is recorded to here the polishings or alternate buffers often
Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH Studios Inc. View Post
HookSound: not seeing any seperate fader options in preferences... Would it be "link record and play faders"???
Year, that's it, and they should be unlinked.