Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 11-03-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Mapping Mapping Mapping! Please Digi, Hear Us...

Digidesign,

I do drum programming all day. I use Logic but I want to use PT because I have an HD|2 system and a Control 24 and because PT is rock solid both in reliability and in usage here in the pro studio world. Logic is not.

PT needs real time midi data mapping.

I use many different percussion midi triggers (Kat pads, MPC pads, Yamaha triggers, and regular keyboards.) All of these have different, random output notes for each pad. I also use many different drum samples and machines, each with different samples assigned to each note. In Logic, dealing with this is no problem. In PT it’s a living hell because PT midi is still honestly 12 or more years behind the times.

What is needed in PT is NOT more and more fancy groove quantization and all of that, but basic features like midi note and controller mapping functionality. I need the ability to change G#3 to A2 and F1 to C4 etc. on the fly in real time (individual note transposing) and save those settings as a preset for any midi trigger to sample player combination. I can’t reprogram the triggers and rewrite the sample keyboard maps for every permutation.

Here is what’s really needed, 10 years ago, just like in Logic:

Midi note mapping and controller mapping:

Any input note may be routed to a different output note and assigned its own velocity setting, and name. Note mapping is infinitely helpful for drum programming. With note mapping:

Each individual input note can be:
• named (snare, hi hat and so on);
• mapped to a different output note (F# and G# for the same hi-hat sound, allowing you to play rapid repeats or transposed for another trigger/sampler combo);
• given a velocity offset;
• assigned its own MIDI channel

With related controller mapping you could quickly and easily reprogram midi controller data from one parameter to another. You could be using your mod wheel as a pitch adjuster then with a flip of a menu, have that wheel be controlling a filter. It’s in the same vein as note mapping, just reassigning midi data in real time.

Note mapping is indispensable for anyone who does much percussion programming.

Am I the only one who rejects PT as an option because it lacks important stuff like this?

PS Where is audio to midi?!? Digi, its 2005! You have a great program but sometimes I wonder...