Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Default Dock & S3 (ethernet) / iPad & Internet (WiFi) Connectivity Problems

I'm having some serious connectivity issues with my setup. I'm currently working out of a facility (not my own) that has some limitations in regards to internet connectivity (I can only connect via wifi). The problem is, whenever wifi is on, my Dock and S3 aren't found in EuControl. At my usual studio, everything is hooked up via ethernet cables (except for the iPad), but here I have to leave the wifi on my computer enabled which then causes issues in EuControl.

Current setup:
Dock ethernet plugged into B port on S3. S3 A port plugged into Ethernet 1 on Mac Pro. iPad running Avid Control connected via WiFi and computer connected to internet via Wifi.

Question:
what's the proper configuration to make this setup consistently connect and function.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Dock & S3 (ethernet) / iPad & Internet (WiFi) Connectivity Problems

While there is a way to achieve that, I have a similar system and recommend connecting the iPad directly to the Mac with the camera kit Lightning/USB adapter, ethernet adapter, and if necessary, Thunderbolt>ethernet adapter. It seems complex, but once setup, it's rock-solid.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
While there is a way to achieve that, I have a similar system and recommend connecting the iPad directly to the Mac with the camera kit Lightning/USB adapter, ethernet adapter, and if necessary, Thunderbolt>ethernet adapter. It seems complex, but once setup, it's rock-solid.
Thanks for the reply. If I get the iPad hooked up via ethernet, I'll still need to use wifi for internet. Will there still be an issue with that? Or is it simply all the EuControl surfaces need to be on the same wired network?

I was playing around last night with various configurations and it seems as though the facilities wifi settings are wreaking havoc on any network connected AVID devices. DadMan lost connectivity as well until I turned off the wifi.

Can anyone let me know how I can get the network configured to not interfere with the Avid device connectivity?? I don't have the option of not using wifi for internet, but I obviously can't have my AVID devices not work either. There has to be some sort of network setting I can use to make everything work together.

Eddie???
Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
So I purchased a Belkin lightning to Ethernet adapter for the iPad since I got absolutely ZERO useful reply from Avid (here and on tech support ticket) on how to configure the network... problem is now that the iPad doesn't fit into the Dock anymore, the lightning connector sticks out too far and hits the plastic where the knobs are. What a junk show!!!
Old 11-04-2022, 01:44 PM

If you are not using the AVB, you can use a cheap walmart wireless router to create a private network for the S1/S3 and tablets to connect to.

wifi tablet
|
|
Wireless router
| | |__ethernet--->S1/dock
| |______ethernet---------->S1/S3
|
|___ethernet/USB-C adaptor---------->Mac

Then, in MacOS System Preferences>Network> prioritize Wifi as 1st place for internet. If you have ethernet set as first(top), you won't get internet.

***This does not work for AVB.

Hope that helps somebody!

Last edited by cerebrocortez; 11-04-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarification