Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2003, 08:26 AM

Default PT not recognizing files transferred from PC

Hi All,

So I followed the instructions in the Digi Answer Base article #5169 for transferring files from a Windows PT/TDM setup to Mac. I formatted a drive on the Windows machine with MacOpener, performed a 'Save Session Copy In' and selected Mac format for the session. I then transferred the files over the network to my Mac. The individual audio files appear with 'PC' icons on them and when I attempt to open the session in PT on the Mac, the file is not recognized.

What did I do wrong?

- neil
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT not recognizing files transferred from PC

Hello,

Heres some more information on transferring from PC to Mac and vice versa.

Both systems need to run Pro Tools 5.1 or higher for cross platform compatibility

For Mac to PC:

-Open the desired session(s) in Pro Tools 5.1 Mac
-Choose File>Save Session Copy In”
-Choose either AIFF or WAV for the Audio File Type (Windows does not recognize the SDII file format)...AIFF and WAV file formats support 24 bit 44.1kHz data.
-Enable the “Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility” option

NOTES:
-If you are using SCSI (or HFS formatted CD-ROMs), you will need to install MacOpener (DataViz) on the Windows machine. It allows you to read, write, and format Mac HFS drives, CD's and Floppies. MacDrive seems to work better if you are using Firewire drives to transfer files.

-If you are burning CD-ROMs of the session(s) on the Mac and not using MacOpener, make sure you use the ISO9660 format.

For PC to Mac:

-Open the desired session(s) on your PT LE 5.3.1, WinXP system
-Choose File>Save Session Copy In...
-Choose either AIFF or WAV for the Audio File Type
-Enable the “Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility” option

Please note the following when moving data from WinXP to Mac OS via CD-R:
-Macintosh systems can only recognize data CD's created on a Windows if you install the Joliet extension, avialable here:
http://www.digidesign.com/download/utility/

Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 04:09 PM

I had a similar problem recently. A session was brought to me on CD, recorded originlly on a PC. Dropped the files to the drive. Opened it. The session had to search for every audio file. Originally thought it was because the files didn't have the Joliet extesion. But then for an unrelated reason I installed an IDE CDR drive and reloaded the whole session and the audio files to the hard drive. Voila! The session opened with no problem. Curious.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:22 PM

Hi Walter,

This same thing happened to me. I noticed that when you make an ISO9660 CD on a PC, the mac will only recognize the first 8 letters of each file name. This is also the case in reverse (making a CD on mac adn then to PC). But when you put the CD back into the computer where it originally came from you can see all the characters in each file name...

Anyway, the reason why PT asked me to find each file is when I copied the session off the CD into the mac all of the files had a the first couple letters and then a "~1" (I.E. Overhe~1.AIF, instead of Overheads.AIF). So I had to do a search for each song by unique ID number instead of name and it found them all.

I don't knwo if that's what happened to you but that's what happened to me when transferring from a PC to a Mac and back to a PC again.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page