Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Default Re: can not maximize pro tools window???

Windows 8.1 Update and Pro Tools 11.2.1: No issues minimizing and maximizing PT. I too do not have Chrome.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM

Hey all! Sorry for reviving this thread, but has anyone found a resolution to this issue? As of today I started having the very same problem, and it's a bit annoying, to say the least. I upgraded to Pro Tools 11.2.1 a few weeks ago as well as running Windows 8.1 with all current updates, so I'm quite sure that isn't the problem. Of course, I can still maximize Pro Tools via the Task Manager, but it truly is a PITA. Anyone have any further thoughts about this?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Nobody else is having this issue?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:03 PM

As Benoni asked early on, "Just wondering, why do you need to minimize Pro Tools?"

Having other programs running when you are using Pro Tools is asking for problems.

You especially do not want to have a web browser open when you are using Pro Tools...browsers are memory hogs.

Having any program that can play audio open when you are using Pro Tools is a recipe for disaster.

When you put on your big boy software, you have to work like a big boy...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
As Benoni asked early on, "Just wondering, why do you need to minimize Pro Tools?"

Having other programs running when you are using Pro Tools is asking for problems.

You especially do not want to have a web browser open when you are using Pro Tools...browsers are memory hogs.

Having any program that can play audio open when you are using Pro Tools is a recipe for disaster.

When you put on your big boy software, you have to work like a big boy...
Well, that wasn't really the answer I was hoping for, but I do get where you're coming from. However, there are times when I need to take a break from a session - especially a fairly long one - and it isn't exactly convenient to be going for the Task Manager every time I need maximize Pro Tools. In a world where some of us need to multi-task for various reasons throughout our daily routines, it really makes no sense why a quirk such as this one tends to exist in Pro Tools. While I'm undoubtedly a newcomer to Pro Tools, I'm a long-time veteran with other DAW programs, and I have yet to encounter a problem such as this one with any of them. I'm obviously not alone, either, especially when considering why this thread was started in the first place.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 PM

I have to chime in here and say "me too" on PT 11. Occasionally, but not always, I can re-size by clicking and holding on the icon, which then becomes thumbnail size, at which I click on the "x" in the upper right corner of the thumbnail, which then gives a "cancel" option which works sometimes. And sometimes not. If not, I first "Control/S" to save my session files then take the exit option and quit Pro Tools, then re-start. Most embarrassing in the middle of a session with 5 or 6 musicians on the edge of a hot take.
It always comes about when I minimize to make adjustments in Universal Audio's "Console" which governs monitor levels from my Apollo. I have learned not to minimize PT, but instead to simply drag the window aside then click on Console, making what adjustments I need to there and then reversing the procedure to get back to PT. But sometimes I forget.
Still, I wish it didn't happen. All in all, less than endearing. Really, about the only glitch I have experienced in PT that's not self-induced.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM

BTW, JPRIDX, just how do you re-size in Task Manager? Sounds simpler than what I do.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 PM

Windows workaround for a common problem:

Instead of minimizing Pro Tools, hit the Show Desktop button (lower RHS of screen - RHS of time).

PS – I’ll occasionally need the Desktop to create a .png – (3 here) http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2190908&postcount=10

And my “belt’n’braces” disposition makes me copy every EULA that I agree to! Then I don’t have to read them (until Court).

Guy said it all:
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=1866
“probably sold my children into slavery. Again.”

Last edited by unkJE; 11-17-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Hi Bill!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpridx View Post
Well, that wasn't really the answer I was hoping for, but I do get where you're coming from. However, there are times when I need to take a break from a session - especially a fairly long one - and it isn't exactly convenient to be going for the Task Manager every time I need maximize Pro Tools. In a world where some of us need to multi-task for various reasons throughout our daily routines, it really makes no sense why a quirk such as this one tends to exist in Pro Tools. While I'm undoubtedly a newcomer to Pro Tools, I'm a long-time veteran with other DAW programs, and I have yet to encounter a problem such as this one with any of them. I'm obviously not alone, either, especially when considering why this thread was started in the first place.
In a world where some of us need to multi-task for various reasons throughout our daily routines ...

I understand that, but you have to understand that Pro Tools doesn't care.

Pro Tools has certain expectations regarding its "environment", and that's what you have to live with. It is because of these "environment demands" that Pro Tools has the performance/stability needed in high-end professional operations, which is why it's the "industry standard"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 AM

The re-size issue can rear its nasty head without minimizing. What happens most often is the need to adjust the monitor level of a particular mic. Being Windows-conditioned in other aspects, I reflexively click on the UA icon that means "Console" ( the only other software installed on this computer). Then I click on the PT icon, and there we are, re-size issue. Then I'm wishing i had "dragged instead of clicked."

Last edited by mickeyrouse; 11-18-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Spelling