Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Benoni's Avatar
Benoni Benoni is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Behind YOU!!
Posts: 9,181
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
In that case I'll keep my Fast Track, which might still prove useful for recording in some circumstances. My problem with the integrated sound card lies with the fact I have no physical volume dial, or switch off, where I can kill the sound quickly.

Thank you for your input.
While you CAN use the Eleven Rack for all audio, it can be an issue. The multi-device drivers don't always work properly. Sometimes your PC can lock the driver and cause issues when using Pro Tools.

That's why most of us on the Windows side suggest keeping your interface for recording, and your integrated sound card for PC audio.

If all you want is a control, get a computer keyboard with volume controls on it. I couldn't live without that control. Many of the Microsoft of Logitech keyboards have these controls, vol. up, vol. down, and mute.
__________________
Brian

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Pro Tools 12 | Eleven Rack + ERXP
Youtube Channel - BenoniStudio
Free Eleven Rack Tutorials, Rigs, and more
@BenoniStudio
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Suddenly Clear Suddenly Clear is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
While you CAN use the Eleven Rack for all audio, it can be an issue. The multi-device drivers don't always work properly. Sometimes your PC can lock the driver and cause issues when using Pro Tools.

That's why most of us on the Windows side suggest keeping your interface for recording, and your integrated sound card for PC audio.

If all you want is a control, get a computer keyboard with volume controls on it. I couldn't live without that control. Many of the Microsoft of Logitech keyboards have these controls, vol. up, vol. down, and mute.
Thank you, Benoni, that's really helpful.

I'm getting the Eleven Rack! Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Pingafuego Pingafuego is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 87
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
What I'd like to know before I buy an Eleven Rack is whether I could easily use it for general computer audio activities, like listening to music, You Tube, whatever?

As trivial as it might seem, it's important when I'm using my computer for general purposes as well as recording...

Thanks
I use it as my only recording interface, and use it to listen to music, youtube, etc, without any problem. But I use a MacBook Pro.

All I have to do is turn it on, Mac OS recognizes it, turn on my monitors (or plug in a headphone) and I control all computer audio with Eleven Rack's volume dial. It's really very easy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Jay_uk Jay_uk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,182
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
Interesting little device, jay_uk, thanks!
You can also hook it up to the headphone socket of your Mac/PC with a Toslink cable to get digital conversion. For those times when you are not firing up the Eleven Rack.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Benoni's Avatar
Benoni Benoni is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Behind YOU!!
Posts: 9,181
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingafuego View Post
I use it as my only recording interface, and use it to listen to music, youtube, etc, without any problem. But I use a MacBook Pro.

All I have to do is turn it on, Mac OS recognizes it, turn on my monitors (or plug in a headphone) and I control all computer audio with Eleven Rack's volume dial. It's really very easy.
The way OSX handles multi-client drivers is different than Windows though. It's not that Windows "can't do it", it comes down to how the drivers are written, and how the DAW utilizes the driver. The Komplete Audio 6 for example does great on Windows as a multi-client host. But for the Eleven Rack and other Avid interfaces, I have had problems trying to use them as the main interface. Sometimes they lock up, sometimes your session gets stamped with the wrong sample rate because the PC and Pro Tools are using two different settings, and some apps will not used the Eleven Rack driver as an audio output source.

The suggestions from us to keep your interface as your DAW audio source and use your integrated audio for PC sound do not come from a place of "that's improper" or "it can't be done". It's just about giving the user the best possible experience with the least amount of issues.
__________________
Brian

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Pro Tools 12 | Eleven Rack + ERXP
Youtube Channel - BenoniStudio
Free Eleven Rack Tutorials, Rigs, and more
@BenoniStudio
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Suddenly Clear Suddenly Clear is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
The way OSX handles multi-client drivers is different than Windows though. It's not that Windows "can't do it", it comes down to how the drivers are written, and how the DAW utilizes the driver. The Komplete Audio 6 for example does great on Windows as a multi-client host. But for the Eleven Rack and other Avid interfaces, I have had problems trying to use them as the main interface. Sometimes they lock up, sometimes your session gets stamped with the wrong sample rate because the PC and Pro Tools are using two different settings, and some apps will not used the Eleven Rack driver as an audio output source.

The suggestions from us to keep your interface as your DAW audio source and use your integrated audio for PC sound do not come from a place of "that's improper" or "it can't be done". It's just about giving the user the best possible experience with the least amount of issues.
One concern with the set up would be how to route it, virtually and physically. At the moment my Fast Track C400 deals with all the audio and outputs by 1/4 jack cables to the monitors. How would I record with the Eleven Rack and output via the integrated audio or the C400?

I appreciate everyone's contritions in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 10,232
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Just dont use the c400 interface. It is not great and the eleven rack is a lot better imho of course. I have a c600 here which someone left or forgot and it is horrid. I will give it away for free!!
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher


South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
SOUTHSIDEPUB

#ninjakittenshatecrunchyleaves

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Suddenly Clear Suddenly Clear is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Just dont use the c400 interface. It is not great and the eleven rack is a lot better imho of course. I have a c600 here which someone left or forgot and it is horrid. I will give it away for free!!
I'm actually planning on giving my C400 away to someone for Christmas. I have an old Delta 66 as well, which I might put back inside my PC.

Anyway, the big news is my personal Christmas present, the Eleven Rack, has been ordered. So I guess, I'll be dropping in on this friendly forum quite a bit...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 10,232
Default Re: Is it worth me getting an Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
I'm actually planning on giving my C400 away to someone for Christmas. I have an old Delta 66 as well, which I might put back inside my PC.

Anyway, the big news is my personal Christmas present, the Eleven Rack, has been ordered. So I guess, I'll be dropping in on this friendly forum quite a bit...
Looking forward to hear your progress and thoughts on the Eleven Rack as it is a really awesome piece of gear
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher


South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
SOUTHSIDEPUB

#ninjakittenshatecrunchyleaves

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check out the Eleven Rack Presets Matched for Eleven plugins by Pro Tools Expert! Justin1524 Eleven Rack 0 11-27-2015 03:53 PM
Eleven Rack / Avid is not producing anymore Eleven Racks is that true or false? Rongpat Eleven Rack 8 02-11-2014 08:42 AM
Is the eleven rack worth the money !! Darren01 Eleven Rack 23 11-10-2013 04:17 AM
Eleven Rack window responds to changes on Eleven Rack, unable to record. pine Eleven Rack 6 08-02-2012 07:50 PM
Eleven Rack and Eleven Rack control window not matching 11R Newbie Eleven Rack 3 04-18-2012 06:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com