Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Default USB Bandwidth Limit Exceeded and Audio Problems

Hello, first of all i know about the DAE 1115 error support on one of the pages on the digidesign site. This is a little different. For starters, i have NOTHING plugged into ANY USB port on my PC. When i plug my Mbox 2 Mini i get an error on the bottom right corner saying Bandwidth limit exceeded and on PTLE startup i get the DAE error. No matter what port i use it does the same thing. Now when i go into PC Management and then Device Management, i see Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, USB composite device, and 2 USB Root Hubs. Now when i go to properties for the Open HCS i see system reserved 10%, USB Composite Device 17% (Which is USB audio), and another USB Comp Dev 50% (Which is the Mbox). Enhanced PCI has 20 % system reserved. Im not exactly sure what to do at this point. Only way i can get this to work is if i go into BIOS and disable USB audio, freeing up some bandwidth. Unfortunately that means NO audio device but whats the point of pro audio equiptment without Audio? I cant seem to figure out what to do. Is this a Motherboard problem (Using an ASUS M2N-E SLI), Network Card problem (im using a 1/100 mbps onboard) Soundcard, or something i have to configure somewhere?

No on the audio side. SOMETIMES i can get past this error but luck. Since this Mbox takes up so much bandwidth, it also disables my sound. I can record through a mic, i can do everything im supposed to do with this thing, except i cant playback any audio from any port. Now, if i unplug the Mbox, my sound is back. Plug Box back in, sound gone. This is obviously a bandwidth issue. Im assuming a fix for the first paragraph would resolve this issue as well.

Im begging for information on this! This is driving me NUUUUTTSS. Not only was this a Christmas Gift, but i received my new guitar the day after, and im desperate to get this thing going.

Also if this helps, here are my Specs:

WIndows Vista Home
AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0ghz
2558 Ram
DirectX 10
Sound Card = None, the drivers that came with my Mobo i guess really arent anything. It just says Speakers (USB Audio Device)
Im assuming ^ has something to do with it?
2x Nvidia 8600GT 512mb with SLI Enabled

Now i also heard people exceeding Bandwidth with digital Cameras, due to their resolution being too high and i heard the higher it is, the more Band is takes up. My video cards are running on 1280x720 with some Generic PnP Monitor. Cold this possibly have something to do with it.

Please anyone help!

Thanks in Advance

-Brian
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: USB Bandwidth Limit Exceeded and Audio Problems

Also I am having the same problem with Windows XP, do i highly doubt the OS is the issue
Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 AM

Do you have a pair of external speakers plugged into the MBOX?

Sounds like you're just using computer speakers?!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Nothing plugged into the Mbox but a Male XLR Cable for micing my Amplifier. Im using headphones plugged into my PC for audio. I have speakers plugged into the computer, but im not using them
Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 AM

The mbox usb is 1.1 and probably your host controllers are 2.0 since you are using vista. That could be a problem and perhaps create the error. Although the computer may recognize a divice using 1.1 it could not work and function properly.

A bandwith error ussually occurs when there is too much data being transfered and you have a slow hard drive. In this case, as you know, it is recommended by DIGIDESIGN to use 2 harddrives. One for your system, and one for the audio files.

If your mbox was shipped with PT 7.3 you need to upgrade to 7.4 in order to use windows vista.

You also need a pair of "decent" speakers that will be hook up to your mbox, in the designated monitor outputs in the back, in order to be able to listen to any audio being reproduced by PT.

I would check the DIGI recomendations to optimize a pc that is going to be used for audio recording. Some of the common things are for instance, NO onboard audio, or pci sound card. The use of internet and nic cards.

Make sure you read the manual..

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...14&itemid=4962
Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 PM

So basically what you are saying is get an external/second HD for Audio and use of PT thats fast enough. And get a decent set of speakers to plug INTO the Mbox? That would require a 1/4 inch adapter for it correct? Im using surround sound speakers atm so i guess thats good enough? and Idk what you mean by NO onboard audio. Do you mean disable it?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

I for one am having the same issues. I have 4 USB ports in the back. 1 - Mbox, 2- MAudio Trigger Finger, 3-Mouse, 4 wireless keyboard.

Background, XP Pro SP3, 3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.5gb ram, ASUS P5N-E Sli.

So I purchase the Amp Farm software from Line6. Install it, plug my PODXT into the USB... on PT8 startup... Bandwith Exceeded, PT8 shuts down.

Since the MBox is such a bandwith hog, I can come to my own conclusion that it can't run the PODXT via the usb. Which sucks high and hard.

I have done all the troubleshooting, the changing ports, etc. with no success. I have not been able to find any concrete solutions for this problem anywhere on the web, which is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have any workable solutions?
  1. Should I get a iLok dongle and find another audio input device?
  2. Is there a compatible PCI USB card that could lessen the bandwith flow?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudibleE View Post
I for one am having the same issues. I have 4 USB ports in the back. 1 - Mbox, 2- MAudio Trigger Finger, 3-Mouse, 4 wireless keyboard.

Background, XP Pro SP3, 3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.5gb ram, ASUS P5N-E Sli.

So I purchase the Amp Farm software from Line6. Install it, plug my PODXT into the USB... on PT8 startup... Bandwith Exceeded, PT8 shuts down.

Since the MBox is such a bandwith hog, I can come to my own conclusion that it can't run the PODXT via the usb. Which sucks high and hard.

I have done all the troubleshooting, the changing ports, etc. with no success. I have not been able to find any concrete solutions for this problem anywhere on the web, which is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have any workable solutions?
  1. Should I get a iLok dongle and find another audio input device?
  2. Is there a compatible PCI USB card that could lessen the bandwith flow?
This motherboard has been problamatic for Pro Tools. You are best served with an Intel chipset for an Intel CPU. Some Nvidea video cards seem to add fuel to the fire.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Here's a silly question?

If I'm using PT8 and tired of using the Mbox, would I need to get an iLok USB key to run other audio input devices?

I know PT only runs with Digi hardware plugged in, so what would anyone suggest?

I don't want to have to upgrade my motherboard and want to get around the USB bandwidth issues.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 AM

You do not need an iLok for any other Digidesign interface but I would not expect a different interface to make any difference(unless you go with cubase and some other brand of interface that may be less "hardware picky"). In any case, you would plug your headphones into the Mbox. A cheap set of powered speakers plugged to the Mbox outputs would be handy and the Behringer 2030A's are just over $200 and are hard to beat at that price point. An approved motherboard might be the only piece you really need to get into "compatible land" and a fresh install of Windows XP will work better than Vista(I am also not sure if your version of Vista is approved). Check the Compatibility link up at the top of this page for more info.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave