Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Saving and loading effects presets

Hi,
Maybe someone can help : I save a preset on PT8 including an effect settings name for the flanger or distortion, whatever
When I load the preset from the computer, the setttings of the effect are the right ones, but the name is not there. Instead I have "factory default", the name being in the list of the effect settings I have saved.
So if I have a long setting list, it's not easy to find which name corresponds to the actual settings of the effect.
I must do something wrong...
Thanks for helping me
Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Saving and loading effects presets

I think I understand what you are saying.... correct me if I am wrong.

You are saying that you save the Rig ('Rig' includes everything) and you also save the settings of the Effects, such as you may save a Multi Chorus setting by selecting the Chorus block, going to the 'Effect Preset' heading and choosing Save Setting or Save setting As.

Then you switch rigs, and when you come back to the Rig you saved and named the Effect setting, and click on that Multi Chorus effect block, but the name shown is Factory Default. Correct?

You are not doing anything wrong. Thats just how it works.

If you choose a Setting name, say Deep Chorus while on a Rig. Then switch to another Rig, click on the chorus, the name displayed will still be Deep Chorus EVEN though the settings are NOT the Deep Chorus settings

The EFFECT PRESET files are stored separate from the Rig setting files. The Rig Setting files contain the settings for all effects, but not the name of a saved Effect Preset.

You can see this for yourself.

On Windows 7 64 bit the default place to save a Rig is:

C:>Program Files (x86)>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE>Plug-in Settings>Eleven Rig

When you save an Effect Setting it will be located at:

C:>Program Files (x86)>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE>Plug-in Settings>Eleven (Effect Name) or just 'Effect Name' (no 'Eleven')

For example (at least on my PC) the Dynamic Delay settings are located at:

C:>Program Files (x86)>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE>Plug-in Settings>Eleven DynDelay

and the Multi-Chorus settings are located at:

C:>Program Files (x86)>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE>Plug-in Settings>MultiChorus

The EFFECT PRESETS (and their names) are handled by Pro Tools, not the Eleven Rack.

When you save a RIG it saves the Effects Settings, but not the name you gave it (if you gave it a name)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks Benoni, you understood quite well (ouch my english...)

Well this is rather boring (and disappointing) : you spend time naming effect settings to organize them, and when you load the rigs, it's "hide and seek".
FI I have more than 15 different presets for the flanger only, it's not practical at all (and rather unlogical I find) to have to go through all the list to know which one is on the screen..., + once you have gone through 4 or 5 of them, you forget how it sounds or how the settings "looked like" (the position of the knobs)...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyoli View Post
Thanks Benoni, you understood quite well (ouch my english...)

Well this is rather boring (and disappointing) : you spend time naming effect settings to organize them, and when you load the rigs, it's "hide and seek".
FI I have more than 15 different presets for the flanger only, it's not practical at all (and rather unlogical I find) to have to go through all the list to know which one is on the screen..., + once you have gone through 4 or 5 of them, you forget how it sounds or how the settings "looked like" (the position of the knobs)...
Well the Rig setting will remember your Effects settings, it just doesn't display the Effects Setting name (if it was named)

If this is something you need to have, then consider setting up a naming system that will let you better understand what setting is what.

For example instead of a name like "Deep Chorus" you may want to name it the same at the Rig setting. So if you have a Rig Named 'Bogner Blue' then name the Chorus "Bogner B Deep Chorus" or 'BB DC' ect... come up with a naming system that corresponds to the Rigs.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 AM

Thanks Benoni

Yes this could work, but it's not really the way I name the settings (more like jet flange, soft chorus or detune etc...)

The fact that you don't recall the name with the effect settings is definitively not user friendly : let's say you load a rig "Z", play with some backing tracks before recording, and feel you need to tweak a little the eq or chorus ... Tweak it more until it's seems better, or not.
Ok, then you want to compare... : what is the effect's name ? (remember it wasn't displayed with the rig).
And this was for one effect only, if you changed the distortion + the eq and comp...

Now comes the fun part : even less user friendly (and I'm surprised people are not complaining more about this) there is no compare button, not even on the software. ??? Why ???
So, you just have to reload your "Z" rig, from a huge list... But before, take note of the changes you've made to these effect settings or save a new rig, because if it sounded better with these previous tweakings you are fubar...

What a waste of time and unlogical way to do things...