Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 09:00 AM

Default a response from Digi about the Control 24

What is the offical response from Digi about the problems with the Control 24?
Can it finally be admitted that this product has major problems? Its really a shame because the idea is great.... but there must be a huge problem with the design. How many revisions are we up to on the power supply? How many times am I going to be expected to change the power supply? I just replaced it again in July, and now the unit is showing signs again.
I understand that there is matinence invloved with running any room, but this is a whole different ball game. Just by looking at the forum here its clear that 90% of the posts are about the C24 breaking. Isn't it clear that its a lemon? A faulty design?
Will it be supported forever? At what point and I going to have to start paying for that yearly power supply? At what point should I be compensated for the down time and trouble of have to pull the console and do the repairs myself? How many times am I expected to swap out the power supply and what is causing the constant failures? Do you have the answer to that? Why?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: a response from Digi about the Control 24

I feel for your pain. But for the record, we've replaced our PS just the once in the six years we've had it.

I tend to think that the lack of traffic on this post means that the product is generally solid. (Or, past its time?)

I'm not trying to lesson your experience. You have a legitimate concern. I'm just not sure how universal the problem is.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Glad you havent had the constant trouble. But look around this forum, a large part of the posts here are always dealing with something not working, and the cure is ALWAYS the power supply. I dont think I know of anyone who has one that hasnt had the PS go bad. I'm sure there are, but I dont know anyone.
How many power supplies have blown on the Pro Control? How many revisions of the power supply have we had on the Control 24?
I dont really want to turn this into a post about, "well mine works, so there cant be a problem" & "mine breaks all the time so there must be a problem". Its established that there IS a problem.
I dont really care if no one posts in this thread. I want DIGI to respond to this thread. I think owners, past, present and future, need to hear from them about this. I want to know how long they are going to keep sending me power supplies. Are they continuing to revise the power supply? Why cant they get it right?
The product is most definately not solid, but it is past its prime. Great idea with a flawed design somewhere inside.
Hopefully your will stay solid.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Ed,
As an owner of 2 Control 24's I understand your frustration. I've had one go bad. However asking "Digi" for an Official response is going to make you even more frustrated. You are much better off contacting them on the phone then write an e-mail stating your problems and asking for a response off of this forum instead of demanding it here. As for compensation, well good luck. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it is the best approach.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:40 PM

Thanks.
The usual response I get from them is we will deal with it when it happens. One time when it broke, I was told I had 90 days and after that I was on my own. Last time I was told the power supply had a 4 year warranty.
I posted this here because I think people need to be aware that there is a real problem with the console.
My first console blew and I replaced the power supply. It blew again and they replaced the board. It has now blown 2 more times..... and the signs are starting again.

I think Digi should post here and explain exactly what the problem is and why it cant be fixed.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
The usual response I get from them is we will deal with it when it happens. One time when it broke, I was told I had 90 days and after that I was on my own. Last time I was told the power supply had a 4 year warranty.
I posted this here because I think people need to be aware that there is a real problem with the console.
My first console blew and I replaced the power supply. It blew again and they replaced the board. It has now blown 2 more times..... and the signs are starting again.

I think Digi should post here and explain exactly what the problem is and why it cant be fixed.
True Dat.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM

I think Digi should compensate all users of "power-supply afflicted C-24s" with an 85% discount on D-Command upgrades. Sound fair? ... c'mon.. I keed, I keed.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I think Digi should compensate all users of "power-supply afflicted C-24s" with an 85% discount on D-Command upgrades. Sound fair? ... c'mon.. I keed, I keed.
To be perfectly honest... they should do something..
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:

To be perfectly honest... they should do something..
I hear ya, Ed.. you're right. I sent the board out to have the PS replaced last year and 2 months ago 4 faders started to have a mind-of-their-own, jittering and jumping all over the place during playback. I replaced the 4 individual faders myself, and now 3 different faders are starting to act up in the same way. The noise from from the fader clacking was so bad that I had to mix with the fader caps removed. Ugh. It's very frustrating.
IMDB
LinkedIn