Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Currently 2018.12 and 10.13.6 are running pretty damn nicely on my system with HDX. I did a clean install, and made a very concise list of what plugins I need... rather than my usual habit of just going to town and installing everything I could get my hands on. 95% of the free plugins I have collected I never actually use.

What I would love to see is:
- MPE support added.
- Better I/O control, with the ability to have analogue inserts use different output channels from input channels and sample based I/O delay offset instead of millisecond based.
- A simple option to reconfirm all surround channels to the desired standard (SMPTE, Film, etc).
- Dedicated surround channel mixer plugin. Something along the lines of the sound field plugin that gives you the power to change channel levels and locations of a surround channel.

I'm sure there are more...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We run Ableton Live10 Suite aswell as PT2018Ultimate and Logic X has got a long way to come close to Live10 for midi and overall awesome features.

Along with Push2 Ableton is on top of the foodchain for sure! Love it!

And with Live10 now has way better touchscreen support as we use 2 Raven MTi2 screens for both PT and Live10.

LogicX is a accomplished DAW but has a lot to be desired for.
Agreed. I've been scoring in Live 10 Suite and it's amazing. Nice to work crash free with a ton of VI's. I do use PT to edit certain things though.....
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM

I could redesign the clip bin in 20 minutes ......folders, sort by track, layout, deliniation lines between things types etc.....tons of stuff.....its the most pathetic part of PT as an editor....if i was writing id use Logic....otherwise since i've been using it for a long time and getting paid, its obviously not that bad....
Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 PM

pro tools 8 upgrade added more features than 9,10,11,12 & 2018 combined.
There is a serious lack of R&D at Avid these days - look at all the features in Slate Batch commander - many of those features should be in pro tools.
Track Freeze & Channels strips took 10 years to implement.
Back in Digidesign days (before the rebranding) there was a serious response to feature requests - now instead of simply ignoring Ideascale - Avid just pulls the plug on feature requests period. A good company should come out with very cool new features. Going to NAMM and talking to the Avid guys is like going down the street and talking to Mickey Mouse about Pro tools they simply have a DGAF attitude - FWIW I have been a customer since 1988.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 PM

I'm still back on v12.8 so one or two of these may now be in PT, and I've been away from PT a while so maybe I'm misrepresenting some things. But off the top of my head these are things Reaper has that I don't remember doing in PT:

Folders (Insanely useful. Almost essential IMO.)
Render Queue (Extremely useful for creating different versions of a mix)
Sub-projects
FX groups
Track routing window
Skins/Themes, including ones with PT look and feel (Not a big deal IMO, PT has a nice UI)
Melodyne ARA support
Basic video editing
Better MIDI
Automation items - very useful
Item level FX. (not just clip level and a few other things, but everything)
Spectral Editing
DDP import and export (limited, but functional)
Video rendering
More complete plugin managment
Multiple track automation lanes visible at once (I don't think PT does this?)
Customizations that let you create your own workflow
--Scripts
--Customizable actions
--Editable toolbars, including toolbar sets
--Customizable menus
--Customizable hot keys / mouse input for both editing and actions.

Also, I don't remember that PT track templates could include an entire set of tracks, with Sends, etc. configured. Am I wrong? I know some of this is possible through Session Import. But for example, in Reaper with a single click I can call up a drum VI with multiple outputs configured, Sends in place, FX set up, etc., all neatly set up in its own folder.

One big thing I miss from PT is Playlists. You can group takes, and simulate some of the behavior, but it's not nearly as nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
I keep reading on the line that Pro Tools is ‘miles behind’ competitor daws. But when I look back at the (now discontinued) ideascale list there’s not that many fundamental and highly voted for issues in which PT is really lacking against competitor daws. I mean big features like 64-bit support, Freeze track, bounce iin place etc were back in the days.

Folders in the clip list I consider one that is big workflow wise (I started that on ideascale long time ago) and there are plenty of nice small features that some other daws have that I’d like to see in Pro Tools (I’d love to see ARA2 support for Melodyne and some improvements in Elastic Audio algorithms to name a few).

But really, in what big workflow area is Pro Tools ‘miles behind’ competitor daws? What big fundamental functionality, innovation or ‘can’t live without’ function is Pro Tools lacking that is standard in all other daws?

I have used Pro Tools since the early days and have been a PT trainer for over 20 years. I know it really well. But I don’t use any other daw on a daily basis and therefore am not as fluent in any of them. So I’m really curious as to what it is that makes PT so ‘outdated’?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 AM

For post people, the list in so long..I'm sure that post has its own needs and musicians have their needs.
If Nuendo can do it, Avid surely can:

1. Video compositing: video overlay tracks so I can put TC and text/notes that would be imposed to the video. Its essential for ADR, foley, screenings.
2. Folders for clips so I can arrange all the narration in one folder, all the door fx in another. (Just some examples).
3. Built in re sync capabilities.

Avid claims to be the standard of the post industry, so act like one.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM

1) PT needs to work WAY better with VIs

2) Midi is way behind basic DAWS

I've used PTHD/accel etc. since 1998. So over 20 years. They supposedly rewrote the program several years ago and it still is the weakest DAW with VIs and midi. Extremely frustrating.....
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM

Avid should have bought soundminer. Long ago. And used it to create a new clip bin workspace. They really dropped the audio ball by not buying out wwise as well. Maybe fmod. In any case its working and im getting paid soooooo
Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
1) PT needs to work WAY better with VIs

2) Midi is way behind basic DAWS

I've used PTHD/accel etc. since 1998. So over 20 years. They supposedly rewrote the program several years ago and it still is the weakest DAW with VIs and midi. Extremely frustrating.....
I agree! It would be nice!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Engage Record and Solo buttons from within the MIDI editor. And determine which tracks get soloed there too, without having to switch back to the main Edit view.